Crosby Village

1 Conversation

Situated in the rural outskirts of Liverpool UK, the inhabitants of this peculiarly removed village live constantly in a state of confusion as to whether they can officially claim to be "Liverpudlian" or simply "from Sefton." This has led to one being able to discern both the stereotypical 'scally' and the rather more sedate 'scouser,' despite the fact that both live merely a road away from the other.

This aside Crosby is a fairly common-or-garden suburb, replete with trees, green foliage, parks, and even its own beach. Most commerce takes place in 'The Village,' the central shopping area located on Moor Lane. If you're ever in the neighbourhood, take the time to wander around the affectionately named "50p Shop," where you will be hard pressed to find anything selling at less than 75p.

Early in the 21st century work on the newly refurbished Crosby Sports and Leisure Centre was completed, providing the shoreline with a rather spectacular new building, shaped very much like the kind of UFO you'd expect to find in a James Cameron movie. The design won an award for architecture, but when the somewhat pitiful size of the pool became public knowledge many began to pine for the old, Maplin's Holiday Camp style building of the past. (Despite the cockroaches.)

Another public building worthy of note is the arthouse cinema on Liverpool Road, currently known as The Plaza, which is one of the few Art Deco cinemas still standing in modern Britain. Once you get past the sticky floors and flakey exterior it really is a charming building, and the main screen's interior design evokes a sense of nostalgia and history that is sure to enhance even the dullest Hollywood blockbuster experience.

The nightlife includes several pubs famous for their live music, including the nationally-known Stamps, and the less well-known Blues Bar, both of which actively promote new bands and encourage punters to try their hand at performing. Alternatively, if you enjoy loud dance music and underage drinking be sure to check out The George of a Thursday-Sunday, where you will find most of Crosby's 14-16 year old population out on the pull. It does have the monopoly on gorgeous barmaids, however, which makes it well worth a visit or twelve.

Crosby holds a number of festivals throughout the year, the highlight being the "5-Bar Festival," in which Stamps, Blues, and 3 other pubs get together and hold a long weekend's worth of partying in order to promote an extensive line-up of live musical talents. The festival is held on the last weekend of May, starting from the Friday and ending late Sunday.

See Also: Little Crosby.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4111994

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more