New York City - Queens - Forest Hills - Living

2 Conversations

Hello world!

Quick Review: Wonderful

Location
As the title of the review states, Forest Hills is nicely located in the borough of Queens in NYC. It is basically in the "middle" of Queens. Head east and you hit "Rego Park" and west you run into "Kew Gardens."

Fame
Forest Hills has a few links in U.S. history. It is the only neighborhood of New York to be mentioned in "Catcher in the Rye" when Holden talks about "Forest Hills tennis stadium" In fact, the stadium in Forest Hills (at the end of Burns Ave) was host to the U.S. Open prior to Ashe Stadium. It was also the sight that Wes Anderson filmed scenes from his film "The Royal Tennenbaums" (the tennis match and go-cart scenes). For all you mafia enthusiasts, Forest Hills was the location that Henry Hill got an apartment for his mistress in GoodFellas. It is also the location of the gruesome "Son of Sam" murders in the 1970s NYC heatwave.

Things To Do In The Area
If you happen to find yourself in Forest Hills and want to have a good time then quickly make your way over to Austin Street. It is the busiest pedestrian street in the neighborhood and for good reason. There are a variety of shops, restaurants, and hang out spots that will defintely suit most people's needs. People from surrounding neighborhoods come to Forest Hills area specifically to visit Austin.

Things To Be Afraid Of
For non-locals it is imperative they stay clear of Queens Boulevard. This eight lane street has been responsible for the death of over 70 people in the last ten years. If you stand at the corner of the "Vitamin Shoppe" on 71st and face north you will see a sign which reads "Please be careful when crossing the street - A pedestrian was killed here." It is no wonder that is has acquired the nomer of "The Boulevard of Death."

Food
The best place to eat is the "T-Bone Diner" located on the South side of Qns Blvd, just west of 71st Ave. This place is heaven on Earth. The menu offers what a typical diner offers but my meal of choice is "Cheeseburger Deluxe Medium Rare with a Pepsi." Sometimes new waiters will say they don't have Pepsi - not true. Ask them to give it to you in a bottle and they'll make due.

The neighborhood also has Indian (Baluchi's east of 71st Ave on the Blvd), Thai (Bann Thai heading west down Austin), and a variety of Italian restaurants on Metropolitan Ave. There is also a Peruvian restaurant, (Punta Sol on Metropolitan and 70 ave.)

Movies
There are three movie theatres in Forest Hills south of Queens Boulevard. The most commercial theatre is on the southside of the Blvd and has one or two arcade games. Another is located close by on Austin but only offers two movies at any given time. The latter is further away on Metropolitan Avenue and is also the least expensive (by $2).


More later...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4127294

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more