The Visit

0 Conversations

Grandma with photo album

The Visit



I awoke and felt strange, but I couldn't describe the feeling, I tried to move and nothing happened. I couldn't even turn my head and I didn't even know if I was supposed to be frightened... I made a bit more of an effort—and something happened. A 'snap'—but there was no sound, it was just a feeling. I felt like I was floating, which was silly really, just lately I'd been wondering if I'd ever get out of bed again.



The floating feeling lasted a few minutes, or could have been seconds, I don't really know. I turned my head to look at the clock and it was 3am. I wondered whether I should go to the bathroom or head for the kitchen to make a nice cup of tea. But my bladder wasn't giving me any signals that I needed to go, and neither did my mouth moisten at the thought of tea. How strange! I wondered if I was dreaming after all. I looked around and noticed I was looking down on the room, instead of across it. I couldn't even feel the carpet under my feet, and I didn't remember putting my slippers on... I wondered whether I should go wake my son and daughter-in-law.

I got as far as the bedroom door but when I tried to open it—nothing happened. I was confused, why wouldn't the handle work? Then suddenly I was through the door on the other side, looking back at the door. I didn't recall it opening and closing, but how...? I turned and made my way to my son's bedroom. Their door was closed, and I suddenly felt that wasn't the way to go, so instead of stopping I carried on, across the rest of the bungalow until I reached the front wall. I barely stopped to take in what was happening. I carried on right through the wall and into my garden.

It was raining, I noticed, but it didn't feel wet on my face. I was moving, but it seemed I had no control over the direction, now I was heading across the road towards that young woman's bungalow, the one who bought old Bill's place after he died. How long ago was that? A couple of years? No, my son's been with me longer than that and she was there by then. Don't even know her name, though Shirley the old nurse knows her and I'm sure she told me her name once but I don't remember. What am I doing? I'm in her garden now, and almost in her bungalow. What if she's up? What will she think of an old woman just wandering into her home?

I didn't feel anything other than hoping I didn't frighten my neighbour. I passed through rooms I didn't recognise then all of a sudden I was looking down on someone who was asleep. I moved closer so I could see her face, it was definitely her. She turned a little and opened her eyes. I opened my mouth to apologise for the intrusion but no sound came out, then I heard a scream. Startled, I shot backwards and out of the room. I was really shaking now, what on Earth was going on? I could still hear the young woman but then it went quiet. I didn't know where I was and started to get upset, wishing I was at home. Next thing I knew I was back inside my house and looking at the kitchen clock, it said 8.15am. My son was on the phone. I didn't even think to speak to him, I already knew that he wouldn't hear me, he couldn't even see me.

I looked out of the window and saw an ambulance parked outside. I wondered why it was there, perhaps the old lady next door had gone before me. We often joked about it across the garden fence. My front door opened and someone left. Then it opened again and someone came in. I could hear my daughter-in-law but couldn't see her. I wondered where she was, and who she was talking to, but it didn't quite sound like her normal tone. I made an effort to move into the living room and there she was, clutching her mobile phone, jabbering away to someone unknown. I never got used to those things. When they offered me one I said: 'Thanks but no thanks!', quite emphatically. Can't teach an old dog new tricks! I looked again when it went quiet, and I saw my son's wife was crying.

I wondered what the matter was, young women today cry over such small happenings, we lived through the war, rationing, no NHS, never knew if our husbands were coming back, toughens you up that does. It takes a lot to make me cry. Save them for a proper occasion like a funeral rather than all that wasted emotion. I wondered why she got up and left the room without a word. I went to see my son in the hallway, but he was no longer there when I looked, he'd gone outside. He was talking to the ambulance driver but I couldn't hear the words. Then my daughter-in-law reappeared with her coat and handbag and she headed for the door. I went to stop her but couldn't get her to notice me and I didn't understand. As she closed the front door and I heard the lock click, it was like a revelation. I felt a warm glow and was suddenly bathed in a soft light. Then the light grew brighter and it hurt my eyes.

When my eyes grew accustomed to the light, I thought I saw a dark figure, walking towards me. I tried to speak but nothing happened, so I waited. The figure stopped just in front of me and the light dimmed a little so I was able to make out the features. Finally I found my voice: 'You look just like my husband, Gerald. Except much younger', and I laughed. 'I am Gerald' said the figure, 'I've come to take you home. Sorry you had a little wait for your escort, but you had to be alone for the transference'. He held out his hand and I took it. Together we walked towards the light.

Fiction Archive

Galaxy Babe

09.10.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A41905154

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more