Pole dancing: erotic dance form or merely gymnastics?

1 Conversation

In January 2009, a row took place at a college in Devon over whether or not 14 year old students should be allowed to watch pole dancing. Pole dancing is a form of exotic dancing that takes high levels of skill, endurance and coordination as well as sensuality. The dancers make use of a vertical pole (usually metal) which they dance around, spin on and perform more athletic moves such as body inversions (hanging upside down in laymen's terms!). In the past pole dancing has become known as an activity that is often combined with lap dancing or striptease in gentlemen's clubs so the concern some teachers showed was understandable. However, with an increase in displays of pole dancing in schools, gyms and kitchens all over the world, some people have been led to question whether pole dancing is just an erotic dance form or in fact merely another way to keep fit.

History

Pole dancing appears to have its origins in the ancient Sumerian period, where legend had it that a goddess called Innana descended into Hades to track down her lover Damouz. At each of the gates on her descent she took off a piece of jewellery and a veil. Her dance lived on with Salome who danced for King Herod in the Old Testament.

Since then it has moved on to Asia, Canada, US, UK, Europe, Australia and New Zealand through dancing clubs that also feature striptease. Due to the fact that the dance form has a history of only being connected to these clubs it has received very bad press. As celebrity Vanessa Feltz says when people think of pole dancing today they envision , 'A basement flaunting a lady who leaves little to the imagination, aptly called - oh dear – Buffy'. This thought is reflected by the director of children's charity Kidscape who said 'Pole dancing is traditionally an activity where women on stage are given money which is stuck in their underwear'.

The Present

However, as clubs become much more mainstream, safer and acceptable to the public an increase of women have been frequenting them either with friends or partners for entertainment. Why the rise in numbers of women frequenting the clubs if pole dancing is seen as degrading to women? The answer to this is that some don't feel that way; in fact some women feel a sense of empowerment when faced with a pole and viewers. Many clubs also have a 'no touching' policy and bouncers to enforce this, making the dancers feel safer.

Even so not everyone is content in seeing the activity as a woman called Fiona points out, ‘There were five girls in their knickers, writhing around on podiums. They looked fantastic but it was pretty intimidating - none of the female customers wanted to dance near them. I think if you want to see half-naked women, you can go to a strip club’.

Not Just in the Club

Of course there are other places where you can erect a pole. For example, homes, gyms and educational establishments are all places that are now increasingly playing host to this activity. Bed and Breakfast landlady Dawn Farnworth is one such woman who has taken to pole dancing outside of clubs. She pole dances in the kitchen of her own home and likes to practice, after she’s done the breakfast and beds. Her mantra is ‘bacon and egg by day, pole dancing by night’.

Instructors such as Mrs Remmer from The Art of Dance School also believe that pole dancing has a place away from the clubs and could be placed in schools around the world. She told the BBC, 'Pole dancing is appropriate for young teenagers at school as it is a mix of dance moves and gymnastics and is excellent for fitness. If anything my classes empower women and therefore encourage them to be in control of their bodies'. Similarly, Ms Riddell from Northumberland said, 'This is a good way of tackling obesity. It is dancing and it is fun and gives you a fantastic feeling. I have seen the joy in the faces of children who are holding their body strength up, doing the splits, spinning round and upside down. The children don't come in with thoughts of strip clubs in their minds'.

For All

In this way it is clear that pole dancing could be seen as an activity for people ranging in age from schoolchildren to adulthood. These people don’t possess Jordan-esque figures and come from a number of different backgrounds, they are different shapes and sizes who want to improve their fitness, body tone, image, confidence and even spice up their relationships. Whether you are Kate Moss or Vannessa Feltz, as long as you are willing to try new things and have fun no one there will care as they're all there to do the same.

And thanks to celebrities such as Jude Law who was featured pole dancing in the film Closer, it is not just women that are feeling the urge to take up pole dancing. The director of Polepeople, Alison Hudd, said, 'We have been inundated with men asking if we do classes for them ever since Jude Law's comments'.

Backlash

However, not all celebrities are in agreement when it comes to this activity. Estelle and Kylie Minogue have taken up opposition to pole dancing arguing that it can easily be seen as degrading to women and empowering men. They fear that the age old comment that sex sells is still happening today and that music videos are putting out a bad image to this day. Take the band the White Stripes for instance, they featured a video with Kate Moss pole dancing and DJ Sara Cox is not shy about hiding the fact she has frequented strip clubs.

So what do you think, will pole dancing be forever more remembered for being something dirty or will this activity catch on and be the next best thing to using a gym?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A47669692

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Currently in:

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more