Driving Safely - UK Police Driving School Assessing Bends

2 Conversations

As modern cars become faster and provide more performance it is increasingly important for the driver to understand how to negotiate corners safely. Not only will you improve their control of the vehicle, but you will also prevent an accident. This Entry describes an advanced safe cornering technique which is easy to learn. It works on a tried and tested optical trick discovered by motor racing drivers in the 1930s, and it has been used ever since.

The best part is that it costs nothing, it just takes a little practice.

Interested

Well you must first understand, this is a method of keeping you safe and prevent you being caught out on corners NOT go faster. Used correctly it will inform you of the nature of the bend in the road and what you should do. Also you must remember it WILL NOT work on loose road surfaced (Gravel or dirt roads) or on ICE SNOW OR MUD just drive slowly. Why? you should be driving slowly on slippery roads as your tyres need grip on any slippery road and if driving slowly you simply do not need to apply this method.

Well this is what to do, as you approach any bend in the road look for pick out two features, one on each side of the road, they should be as close to the kerb and as prominent as possible. As you get used to the idea you will be able to tell if the things on either side of the road are moving, and in which direction. Any feature will do a tree, bush, fence post, lamp, sign in fact anything. Notice how they move in relation to each other as you drive through the bend.

If the landscape is bland or confusing just look at the bushes etc on each side, and observe how they seem to move in relationship to each other. You can also regard each side as the object, it takes a little practice but as soon as you notice how you will never forget. This safety technique works best on rural roads and prevents bends or combinations of bends from catching you out.

At first just observe the optical effect as you drive through a bend at normal speed or better still view it as a passenger.

This is how it works

  1. If the features you have chosen appear to move towards each other, you are going to fast. Driver reaction: Slow down until the features stop appearing to move together or appear static.
  2. If the features appear static and do not move, your speed (if not over the mandatory speed limit) is appropriate for the bend.
    Driver reaction: You can maintain your speed, Warning slow down before any corner and never exceeding the limit. It is dangerous to break whilst cornering, the vehicle unbalanced (You feel as if you are being pushed sideways by centrifugal force) heavy breaking is dangerous.
  3. If the features appear to move away from each other, you could at your discretion go a little faster.
    Driver reaction: If comfortable you can maintain your speed, or go a little faster if the road conditions allow.

You must make allowances for road conditions especially slippery roads, and you must make allowances for hidden obstructions (parked cars, animals or cyclists ). This is intended to assist you and make the roads safer not to allow you to drive faster.

It must be stressed that this only works if you are driving at normal speeds appropriate for the road and conditions. It is not meant to encourage excessive speed and will not cure bad driving.

This is why it happens

If you are unable to see around the corner,and the road is out of your sight1 one of the following three things is happening.

  1. If the corner is becoming more acute. Observe your chosen roadside features will appear to move closer together.
  2. If the corner is continuing without becoming more acute. Observe your chosen roadside features will appear to remain static.
  3. If the corner is continuing and the road is straightening. Observe your chosen roadside features will appear to move away from each other.

This works most of the time with either right or left hand drive vehicles including motorcycles. It is of immense help on strange roads and if used with care it will prevent you from being caught out by unexpected sharp bends.

Who uses this?

  • The UK Police driving schools.
  • Ambulance driving schools worldwide.
  • Many armed forces around the world.
  • Driving schools for elite Chauffeur training. The wealthy insist on a smooth ride.
  • Advanced driving schools.
  • Professional drivers. And anyone who wants to drive safely.

Dose it work? Good question, when did you last see or hear of a news report of an emergency vehicle or police patrol car run out of road? Well it happens even to them so be carefull.

Remember drive safely wherever you are. And check your tyres more often than you do.
1In other words you can't see around the bend.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A50411819

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more