Bush Telegraph

0 Conversations

Investigative journalists working for The h2g2 Post this week tapped a telephone line in Grosvenor Square. Unfortunately, technical problems meant that only one half of the conversation could be recorded, but even so it affords the reader a valuable insight into transatlantic diplomacy.


Good morning, Mr.President-Elect. Nice to speak to you. I trust the preparations for your inauguration are going well. My name's Phil Lader, and I'm your representative here in England.

(...)

No, Sir, Old England.

(...)

That's right, Sir, like on PBS. Anyhow, it was normal practice for me to give a monthly briefing to the outgoing President about events over here, and I wondered if you would like me to continue that?

(...)

Well, Sir, I think you should give one - even if it's a rat's one. After all, Britain is still the biggest single source of inward investment into the USA, it's our firmest ally in NATO, and of course it's a key player in the Irish Question.

(...)

I think they probably did vote for him, Sir, but only because they all work in bars, so the name 'Tipper' got them onside. If you win them over, you might even get a majority at the next election.

(...)

No, Mr. President-Elect, I suppose that wasn't funny. Perhaps I should just tell you the news. William Hague came out in favour of 'Son of Star Wars'.

(...)

Hague, Sir.

(...)

No, Sir, it wasn't him that wanted the USA to cut fossil fuel use.
Different Hague altogether.

(...)

No, Sir, no relation to 'Uncle' Al Haig.

(...)

No, Sir, not the one trying the Lockerbie bombers, either - that's the same as the fossil fuel one. In Holland. This one comes from near York.

(...)

No, Sir, Old York. He's the leader of the British Conservative Party.

(...)

That's right, Sir, very good, her old party.

(...)

I don't know, Sir, how much did she scare your Daddy?

(...)

Really? Over the Prime Minister of Japan? Just the mention of her name? I believe I do remember something about that, Sir, yes. Anyway, Mr Hague has come out strongly in support of the US pressing on with Missile Defence.

(...)

No, Sir, I don't really know why you should give one - especially not a flying one. Nobody over here does. Oh, there is one thing about Hague you'd like. He was a bit of a drinker in his younger days - not unlike yourself, from what I've heard!

(...)

Yes, Mr. President-Elect, I understand completely. Never again. Perhaps, though, I might send reports into Mr. Cheney? Or General Powell? He has a very good image over here, kind of like Nelson Mandela in a uniform.

(...)

Okay - but when he's away, it will be the second assistant, won't it?

(...)

That's excellent, Sir. It would be awful to think you didn't understand the true nature of the 'special relationship' between the two nations.

(...)

That's right, Sir, just like a li'l ole puppy dog. I'm glad that's clear. Goodbye, Mr. President-Elect, and thank you for your time.

(click)

(unclear)hole.
(click)


Positive Feedback


15.01.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A509618

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more