SuDoku

0 Conversations

Hailed as the 21st Century's Rubik's Cube the puzzle was originally created by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1783 as a mathematical illustration of a concept, which I can't remember.

It was adopted by the Japanese as an alternative to Crosswords - as it is difficult, if not impossible, to create a crossword for ideograms! The puzzle came to prominence after a Tokyo-based publisher spotted a "Magical Square" puzzle in an American publication. The Japanese renamed it Su Doku, which, apparently, means "Solitary Number", and so a phenomenon is born.

This phenomenon hit the UK back at the end of 2004 thanks to the Times newspaper - which has been publishing them ever since - and spread to virtually every other daily newspaper after a few months... (although it had been around on the UK puzzle scene since the early '80s - probably called Magical square...)

Various variations have arisen over this period - including the Times Samurai Sudoku and the Telegraphs Dion CUBE Sudoku...

The basic premise is very simple - there is a grid of 81 squares which needs to be filled in with the numbers 1 to 9... The only restriction is:

No Logical unit can contain duplicates of the same number

There are usually 3 types of Logical Units
1) Rows
2) Columns
3) "Cells" (a Cell is a group of 9 squares - usually, although not always, the 81 squares are split up into 9 3x3 "Cells").

I have also seen variations on the total number of squares and the number of squares per logical unit... Favourites seems to be: 6, 8 and 10 and 16 (and now 42!!!).

A "pure" variant should - imho - be considered as only for "square" numbers - i.e. 4,9,16,25,36,etc...

There are various websites out there with Sudoku puzzles on them - some to be completed online, some to be printed and completed offline two of my favourites (one of each) are: http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/sudoku/play.php and http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/index.shtml

There are also various Sudoku solvers - which rather misses the point, methinks (so I won't include any links to them)...

I'll post a puzzle on a separate page, with the intention to change it once a week===>

Here's the first one: A5185280
Second H2G2 SuDoKu: A5255318
And here is the insane SuDoK42 - 42 Cells, 42 Columns, 42 Rows...: A5250601
Second (slightly less insane) Puzzle here: A5475431

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A5178828

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more