Frisbee

2 Conversations


Frisbee is an item and a sport that has become known to human beings a relatively short while ago (Frisbee known 100 years ago, Universe around a few billion years ago. You do the math).

Origin of the Frisbee


The Frisbee is a circular flying disc, not unlike a UFO, or a plate. In fact, the Frisbee is actually modeled after a pie pan from the early 20th century, originating in one of the American states that begins with an M, such as Missouri, or Minnesota. "Frisbee's Pies" were quite popular on the campus of M---- University, and the students would often throw around the pie pans in a fun game of 'catch'. Mind you, they ate the pies BEFORE they threw the pans around, for the other way created too much of a mess. Before long, the internationally seriously respected company "WHAM-O!" picked up the patent, and marketed new plastic Frisbee Flying Discs across the world.

Beginnings of Frisbee Sport


Of course, Americans cannot see any sort of object without wanting to create a complex and bizarre game around it, so many set out to create a sport involving Frisbee. An early attempt involved changing the game of American Football in order to make it the equivalent of American Frisbee. Sadly, it proved just as pitiful as the original, so a whole new game had to be thought up.

"Ultimate" Frisbee


Ultimate Frisbee, as it is known today, consists of several rules stolen--I mean, taken--from other sports. The field is set up with two endzones a large distance apart. Each team has equal numbers of players, preferably 5-7 each. To begin the game, Team A throws off the frisbee to Team B, who catches it. Then, Team B's challenge is to pass the frisbee inbetween themselves until they reach their goal. However, while holding the frisbee, the player cannot move their feet, and must attempt to throw it to another player. If the other team intercepts it, or knocks it down, or the frisbee just decides to obey the laws of gravity for once and hit the ground, the other team gains possession. Then, they try for their endzone, and both teams scurry back and forth until they score a point. Whoever gets the most points by the end of the game, wins. (I bet you didn't see THAT one coming) This sport, while not yet Olympic certified, is present in the International Games (aka, The Games that are Not Olympic Worthy), which were recently held in Korea. No one knows (nor cares) who came home with the trophy, medal, whatever.

Frisbee and the World Today


This mundane sport has captivated minds all over the globe, and hundreds of startup frisbee clubs have popped up across the world, seriously threatening professional bowling and cow tipping as the worldwide pasttime.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A522848

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more