The h2g2 Post 19.10.09

0 Conversations


Posted: 19th October 2009


 

 


Good Week, Bad Week


It's been a good week for social networking sites. First, a mini-campaign on Twitter helped get a High Court injunction lifted, then it was announced that Facebook is responsible for a seventh of all UK internet traffic.


Twitter has often been pilloried for having a significant quantity of nonsense among the content its users produce, but in spite of this the site has become something of a media darling over the last few months. The Trafigura incident, which I describe in detail somewhere on the pages below, was probably the first time its power has ever been fully harnessed. It will be interesting to see whether it can repeat the trick in the future; if so, it could become an important tool in social and political change.


Google is still the UK's most popular website, with more individuals using it than any other site. However, most people who visit Facebook don't just look at one page; they look at photos, visit one another's profiles and any number of other activities, and when you add all those 'page views' together it become by far the UK's most viewed website. In fact, Facebook received more page views than YouTube, eBay and Google's UK sites put together in September. This is rather fascinating in a geeky sort of way, because its rapid growth over the last year has been almost entirely because it has focussed on attracting older people to the site. This has changed the way people use the site, with a proliferation of games, quizzes and other apps to keep people entertained rather than communicating with one another. I can see this causing problems: I know I'm not the only one who gets infuriated by games constantly messaging me just because a friend is doing rather well, and I'm also not the only one who dreads the day when his Mum joins and finds out daily exactly how unhealthy and hedonistic his life really is. If there was ever a time to start a new, fresh and interesting social networking site, it would appear to be now.


This week has also been a bit of a roller-coaster for me, and, without wanting to repeat the details, I'd just like to say a heartfelt thank-you to everyone who has shared a few kind words or a bit of wisdom with me since the last issue, and to the rest of the Post Team who really helped me out earlier in the week.


Finally, the issue after next (2nd November) will, submissions allowing, be a special Halloween/Bonfire Night issue. We're looking for articles, fiction, cartoons and poetry to tie in with the occasion, and if we do get enough we may even have a Halloween competition running with proper prizes and stuff like that. If you do have anything you'd like to offer us on that theme, please try to have it with us by Thursday 29th October at the very latest for us to be able to include it.


Rich


 

 
CULTURE

 

 

 

 
WILDLIFE

 

 

 

 
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

 

 

  • Fragmented

  • A re-run of the first part of HPB's fine serial


 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION

 

 

 

 


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A53895711

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more