The Gull Family and Other Seabirds

2 Conversations






The word 'Seagull' is generally used by non-birders, and can be applied erroneously to Terns and Skuas and other birds seen near to coastal areas. So, all seabirds will be covered; including Waders and others. However, birds that are rarely seen will not be in this guide entry. Only the commoner birds that are seen in coastal areas in the United Kingdom will be covered. Plumages will be given for Summer Visitors, and also for Winter Visitors. Plumage changes for Visitors will not be discussed here. If the bird is a 'resident', i.e., present all year, then plumage changes will be introduced.

Call notes are given phonetically in bird guides, and although similar, all are different. For this reason, call notes will not be discussed in this simple guide. Hootoos can make their own minds up as they identify the species.




Months when the birds are likely to be seen are attatched.

Sizes are given from tip of beak to tip of tail, wingspans (WS) from wingtip to wingtip.







DIVERS, GEESE AND SEA DUCKS.




The Divers (Gaviidae), sometimes referred to as 'Loons', especially in North America, are generally regarded as the most primative of bird species. They are charactarised by their behaviour of being low swimmers in water. On land they are very ungainly, as the legs are set far back on their bodies. In Summer plumage, all Divers are easily identified; however, in the U.K., they are more likely to be seen in Winter, when breeding plumage has faded and been replaced by winter plumage.





GREAT NORTHERN DIVER


The Divers all swim very low in the water, only venturing onto land to breed, when they are very elusive for a largish bird. In Summer, alternating darkand light slatted bands on neck and throat, with a striped back and black bill distinguish. In Winter, all dark upperparts with black bill set it aside

To complicate things, the Great Northern is mainly a Winter visitor only, although it has been known to breed on Shetland, albeit rarely.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

Can be seen all around the coast of U.K.

WS- 135Cm

Size- 80Cm





BLACK THROATED DIVER


Again, in Winter the Black Throated Diver is difficult to distinguish. Its upper parts are almost indistinguishable from Great Northern, but in Summer, it has a black 'bib' around its throat.

In Winter, the bill is less stout than the Great Northern, and the cap and neck are more grey than black.

Can be seen in Northern Scotland and the Northern Isles of Orkney and Shetland, where it has been known to breed.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 115Cm

Size- 65Cm




RED THROATED DIVER



In Summer, the red throat is prominent. In Winter, it is the deepest swimming of the divers, with very little of the body showing above the waterline. Another point of identificatiion is that the Red Throated Diver has an upward curving bill at the tip.

Can be seen in same localities as Black Throated.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 105Cm

Size- 55Cm




Moving away from Divers, we come to other seabirds, starting with the 'tube noses',(Procellariiformes). This family of birds includes Shearwaters and Petrels,and are recognisable by the tubular formations on the top of the bill, All species are entirely pelaegic, spending all year out of sight of land, with the exception of the breeding period. The only member of the family that visits U.K. shores in the daytime is the Fulmar, so will be the only species dealt with here. Shearwaters and Petrels are occasional breeders, but only return to nest sites at night, so unless you are particularly avid, you will not see them.





FULMAR


The Fulmar is a rather stocky looking bird, and at close range can be distinguished by tubular nostrils on the top of the beak.The body and undersides are white, the upper wing being grey, but lacking the black tips carried by the Herring Gull. Warning!! Beware approaching too closely to nesting Fulmars. Fulmars nest on steep cliffs, but often near the tops, so the unwary can suffer an attack. Intruders are driven away by the chicks projectile vomiting the contents of their stomach. Believe me, it STINKS, and is impossible to fully remove. You have been warned.

The Fulmar is also mainly a Summer visitor, and is ulikely to be seen in Winter.

Most likely to be seen- from April to September.

Can be seen on rocky cliffs around the U.K.

WS- 110Cm

Size- 47Cm






Moving on now to the Gannet famiy (Sulidae). Also referred to as the Solan Goose, the North Atlantic Gannet is the only member of this family seen in the U.K. Similar members in the U.S.A. are referred to as 'Boobies'



NORTH ATLANTIC GANNET


The Gannet is a big bird. It is mainly white in colour, with an orangy/yellow head and upper neck and throat. It has large black triangular ends to the wing. Can frequently be seen diving from 15-20 Metres and higher into the sea to feed: This activity is unmistakeable, and is a pointer to identifying the Gannet.

Legs and feet are black.

Can be seen around rocky coasts in Summer, where it breeds. In Winter, it is entirely pelaegic.

Most likely to be seen- from April to September.

WS- 180Cm

Size- 90Cm





The next family in guides is the Cormorants (Phalacrocoracidae), two members of which are dealt with here, namely the Cormorant and the Shag. Both are distinguishable by being low swimmers in water, and having all-dark plumage.







SHAG


The Shag is exclusively a seabird. All dark green except for yellow bill. Carries distinctive crest on the top of the head during breeding season. Swims low in the water.

Legs and feet are dark.

Nests on rocky coasts. Rarely seen on muddy or sandy coasts.

Resident, so can be seen all year round.

WS- 100Cm

Size- 76Cm



CORMORANT


The Cormorant is slightly larger than the Shag, and is the largest all-dark seabird seen in U.K. Distinguishable by white neck and throat, and yellowish mini-pouch under the bill. Legs and feet are dark.

Can be seen all year round and all around the coast.

Can also be seen on esturine rivers and lakes inland.

WS- 135Cm

Size- 90Cm




Herons, Storks and Ibis, (Ciconiiformes) are next. The only family member of which we concern ourselves here is the Grey Heron.



GREY HERON


Grey back and wings, with white head, neck and throat. Twin 'streamers' or crest on top of head. Bill is yellow, long legs darker yellow.
Resident bird, can be seen on rivers, estuaries and shallow coastal marshes.

Nests mainly in trees.

Resident bird. Can be seen all year round.

WS- 170Cm

Size- 90Cm




Geese are separated into two distinct species; Grey Geese and Black Geese (Anser and Branta). Both species are distincty stocky, and have noticably strong legs. A medium long neck and conical bill are the first impression of the species as a whole.





GREYLAG GOOSE


Large, mainly grey coloured goose. Bill is orange, with a small white tip. Legs are more pinkish.

Mainly a Winter visiting bird, can be seen on esturine rivers, mudflats and salt marshes.

Breeds in Arctic areas in Summer.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 160Cm

Size- 90Cm



BEAN GOOSE


Very similar to Greylag. Differences are yellow legs, darker grey upperparts, neck and throat. Pinkish bill has a dark patch at base, and a dark tip.

Habitat as per Greylag.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 160Cm

Size- 90Cm



PINK FOOTED GOOSE


Same dark neck as Bean Goose, but upperparts as light as Greylag. Distinguished by pink legs and feet. Similar bill to Bean Goose.
Smaller than Greylag Goose or Bean Goose.

Similar Winter habitat as Bean and Greylag.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 150Cm

Size- 75Cm



WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE


Another Winter bird, as are Pink-Foot and Bean. Again, overall similar plumage. Legs and feet are yellow. Bill is pink, but is distinguishably white at base.

Habitat as per other Grey Geese.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 150Cm

Size- 75Cm



BRENT GOOSE


Smaller and darker than Grey Geese. Almost black head, breast throat and neck, with a small, whiter patch at top of throat.

Bill, legs and feet are black.

In Winter, to be found on coastal estuaries.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 110Cm

Size- 60Cm



BARNACLE GOOSE


Most distingishable of overwintering Geese. Black cap, neck and throat offset with white face. Breast is light grey, back and wings darker grey.

Bill, legs and feet black.

Coastal estuaries in Winter.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 130Cm

Size- 65Cm



CANADA GOOSE


Well established resident Goose, and the largest of them all by far. Dark brown wings and back, paler brown belly. Head, neck and throat black. Larger patch of white at top of throat than Brent.

Bill, legs and feet black.

Can be seen all across UK.

Resident bird- Can be seen all year round.

WS- 170Cm

Size- 100Cm




SHELDUCK


The Shelduck is a largeish goose-like duck, likely to be seen swimming on the sea, or on river estuaries. It is unmistakeable, having a green head, with a chestnut band on an otherwise mainly white body. Upperparts of wings are dark, back is white.

Bill, legs and feet are red. In the breeding season, the drake carries a red knob to the base of the bill.

Nests on coastal sand dunes and heaths.

Resident, so can be seen at any time of year.

WS- 110Cm

Size- 60Cm




In the Field Guides, Geese are followed by Duck species. Ducks are divided into Dabbling species and Diving species. The Dabbling Ducks do not concern us here in this article. One species of Somateria, the Eider Duck does. There are others, namely King and Steller's Eiders in the Sea Ducks families, other Diving Ducks are freshwater species. Both of the other 'Sea Duck' species are very rare in the U.K.






EIDER


Drake and Duck significantly different in colouration, as are most ducks. The Eider is a true 'Sea Duck' as it spends most of its time at sea. The Eider Drake is very distinctive in colouration, the male having a black cap, pink breast and two green patches on each side of the neck. It has white upperparts, and a blackish underside. Legs and feet are dark green. The female, or Duck is mostly barred brown and black in colouration. Bill is greyish with a lighter tip.

Resident in the North of Scotland, Winter visitor elsewhere, on rocky and sandy coasts.

Rare inland.

Around English and Welsh coasts, can be seen from October to March.

WS- 100Cm

Size- 60Cm




Continuing on we come to the Accipitridae, the Eagles. Although rare, the White Tailed Sea Eagle is gaining ground in the North of Scotland. It is included for that reason.




WHITE TAILED SEA EAGLE


A massively built, dark brown Eagle. White tail distingishes from Golden Eagle. Can only be found in rocky coastal areas of the far North of Scotland, and the Hebrides, where it is resident.

Can be seen all year round.

WS- 220Cm

Size- 90Cm





WADERS.






Waders, the Charadriiformes, are a good point to start the second step of our look around British coastal birdlife. Two distinct families are represented. Lapwings and Plovers,(Charadriidae), and Sandpipers and others, (Scolopacidae). As these are mostly found at the Coast, they are included here. Many of them are Winter Visitors, so have lost their distinctive breeding plumage. In Winter wear, they can be very difficult to identify, even to hardened Birdwatchers.




OYSTERCATCHER


First off in this group is the Oystercatcher. Unmistakeable with its long, narrow bright reddish/orange bill and pink feet. Upperparts are black, underside is white.

Can be seen on all types of shore.

Resident, can be seen year round.

WS- 80Cm

Size- 45Cm



AVOCET


The Avocet is one of the rarest birds to feature here. It is a Wader that is confined at the moment to Southern U.K. coastal areas. Appearance is mainly black and white, with grey legs. The giveaway for identification purposes is the long, fine, upwardly curving bill. The Avocet is the emblem of the R.S.P.B.

Resident bird in the Southern coastal areas of the U.K., where it can be seen all year round.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 45Cm



RINGED PLOVER


The Ringed Plover is a quite distinctive little bird. Brown upperparts are set off with white underparts, with yellow legs. The head is white with a brown cap, and a black mask covering the eyes. The bill is yellow with a black tip. In Winter colouring is more muted. This is mentioned because the Ringed Plover is a resident bird.

Seen on sandy and shingly seashores.

Resident, so can be seen all year round.

WS- 40Cm

Size- 20Cm



LITTLE RINGED PLOVER


Beware getting mixed up with Ringed Plover. The Little Ringed is a Summer visitor to UK shores. Distinguishing features are green legs, and a totally black bill. Otherwise it could be mistaken for a Ringed.

Can be seen from April to September.

Habitat as per Ringed Plover.

WS- 30Cm

Size- 15Cm



GOLDEN PLOVER


A resident bird. Upperparts are yellow-brown, with a white band at the sides.Cheeks, breast and belly are black in Summer, with green legs. Bill is black. In Winter, the black plumage dissappears, leaving a speckled appearance where the black was.

Seen on marshes and muddy seashores.

Can be seen all year round.

WS- 55Cm

Size- 30Cm



GREY PLOVER


Winter visitor, and very easily confused with Golden Plover. Only differences are a less stout, and sightly lighter coloured bill, but darker legs than Golden.

As per Golden Plover, seen on muddy estuaries and sandy seashores.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 60Cm

Size- 30Cm



TURNSTONE


Winter visitor, so will not be seen in UK, in breeding plumage. In Winter, greyish upperparts, white belly. Scruffy appearing black bib. Most distinguished by behaviour, where it can be seen turning small pebbles and stones over with its slightly upturned bill.

Legs are pinkish in colour.

Most likely to be seen- from October to March.

WS- 45Cm

Size- 25Cm



LAPWING


Resident, so seen all year round. Also known as the Peewit, from it's call note. Plumage similar year round. Greenish wings and back, with a black throat and upper belly-parts. White cheeks and neck. Prominent crest is a good pointer to this bird. Legs are pinkish, bill dark grey. The Lapwing has a striking, diving and bobbing display flight.

In Summer seen on farmland near river estuaries, in Winter, on estuaries and coastal mudflats and sandflats.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 30Cm



CURLEW-SANDPIPER


Winter passage migrant; so on the rare side. Does not stay in U.K. Dark upperparts, buffish throat and belly. Slightly darker neck. Brown legs, black, slightly downcurved bill.

Can be seen on muddy, sandy coasts and estuaries.

Can be seen September-October and March-April.

WS- 30Cm

Size- 20Cm



DUNLIN


Resident in the North, Winter visitor in the South. In Summer, Dunlin has black belly, with a pinky, speckled breast. In Winter, the black belly goes, as does the pinkish colouration. Dark bill and legs throughout. Prominent light eyestripe also year round.

Can be seen on sandy or muddy coasts and estuaries.

In the North to be seen from October to March.

WS- 35Cm

Size- 17Cm



TEMMINCK'S STINT


Another passage migrant in Winter. Small billed wader with yellow legs. Dark wings and back, scallopped. Buffish belly, speckled breast. Black bill.

Seen on estuaries where there is vegetation cover.

To be seen on passage around September/October and March/April.

WS- 25Cm

Size- 15Cm



LITTLE STINT


Smallest Wader seen in U.K. Lighter back and wings than Temmink's. Pale breast and belly in Winter, when it is most likely to be seen on passage. Dark legs, dark bill.

Seen as per Temminck's.

WS- 25Cm

Size- 12Cm



KNOT


Almost exclusively seen in Winter in U.K. A dumpy, grey bird. Black billed and yellowish legs. Pale grey back and wings. Face and belly white, breast darker.

Knots gather in tight flocks in winter, feeding at edge of tide line, and following it in, feeding with heads down.

Can be seen from October to March.

WS- 50Cm

Size- 25Cm



SANDERLING


Winter visitor. Light grey wings and back. Has blackish shoulder spot. White belly distinguishes from Dunlin and Knot. Patters along tide line, preferring sandy shores. Also preferrs to run rather than fly when approached.

Black legs and bill.

Can be seen from October to March.

Ws- 45Cm

Size- 20Cm



PURPLE SANDPIPER


Another Winter visitor to U.K. shores. Mostly dark with white belly. Yellow legs prominent, and yellow bill with black tip. Purple gloss on mantle only visible in very good light.

Seen in winter on rocky shores and weed covered groynes, patches of stones and breakwaters.

Can be seen from October to March.

WS- 40Cm

Size- 21Cm



REDSHANK


Resident, so can be seen all year round. Mainly coastal, but comes inland up tidal rivers, and on mudflats.Dark grey/black upperparts, with prominent white eyestripe.

Red bill, black from mid-parts to tip. Brilliant red legs.

Ws- 50Cm

Size- 28Cm



GREENSHANK


Winter visitor for most parts, although it can be seen in Northern parts of British Isles in Summer. Darker than Redshank, which it resembles in colouring.

Bill is all blackish, legs very dark green.

Marshy bogs and estuaries.

Most likely to be seen from October to March.

WS- 60Cm

Size- 31Cm




CURLEW


Common, all year round species. Brown scallopped upperparts and wings. Speckled neck and belly, fading to white rearparts of the underside. Long, downward curving grey bill. Pale grey legs.

Bogs, estuaries, sand dunes and sandy shorelines.

Occasionally inland.

WS- 100Cm

Size- 60Cm



WHIMBREL


Very similar to Curlew, though Whimbrel is a Winter visitor to most parts. In Summer, only found on Northern Isles. Black stripe above eye and smaller size separates from Curlew, with a shorter downcurving bill.

Other colouration very similar.

Some estuaries in Winter.

Most likely to be seen from October to March.

WS- 85Cm

Size- 40Cm



BLACK-TAILED GODWIT


Winter visitor. Pale browny-grey upperparts, very light grey throat and breast, fading to whitish rearparts of the underside. Tail has a black stripe at rear. Bill slightly upwards curving, starting yellow, but ending in black.

Estuaries and muddy shores.

Most likely to be seen from October to March.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 40Cm



BAR-TAILED GODWIT


Very similar to Black-tailed. Pale eyestripe and slightly shorter upcurving bill. Tail barred, rather than solid black.

Same habitat and frequency as Black-Tailed.

To be seen from October to March around coastal areas.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 35Cm






SKUAS, GULLS, TERNS AND AUKS.



The group we come across next are the Skuas, the Stercorariidae. All are heavily built. Two, the Great and the Arctic breed in the Northern Isles of the U.K. Beware approaching breeding birds, as they WILL attack all intruders. The Pomerine and Long Tailed will only be seen as passage migrants in spring, going North to Arctic breeding grounds, and in Autumn on their way to South Atlantic Wintering grounds. All species are Pelaegic outside breeding times.






GREAT SKUA


A large, heavily built seabird that is reminiscent of a Gull. All dark brown plumage, with darker head. White flashes above and below wings. Heavily billed. The Great Skua is a Summer visitor.

To be seen from April to September.

Feet and bill black

WS- 130Cm

Size- 55Cm



ARCTIC SKUA


Reminiscent of a dark Common Gull. All dark plumage on back and wings. No white flashes as per Great Skua. Darker cap, with white throat and breast. Neck appears yellowish. Black feet, legs and bill.

To be seen from April to September.

WS- 115Cm

Size- 40Cm



POMERINE SKUA


Extremely similar to Arctic. The main difference is size, with the Pomerine being the larger. The only other difference being the blunt and twisted tail feathers in the Pomerine.

Bill, feet and legs dark.

To be seen from April to September.

WS- 120Cm

Size- 45Cm



LONG TAILED SKUA


Lighter in colouration than previous Skuas, back and wings being more grey than brown. Has same head, neck, breast and throat colouring. Main distinction is the extremely long tail feathering in Summer in the adult bird. These may still be visible on migration, when it is most likely to be seen.

To be seen March/April or September/October.

WS- 110Cm

Size- 60Cm





Now we come to the Gull family, the Laridae. All species relatively common around U.K. coasts and are resident, except where otherwise indicated. All Gulls go through a series of plumage changes as they grow through to adulthood. By neccessity of brevity, these changes are not discussed here, as it would make up a lengthy articly in its own right.



BLACK HEADED GULL


This bird is the smallest breeding Gull in the UK. The head is NOT black. It is a dark, chocolate brown colour. In Winter, the 'black' head colour recedes, leaving just a small dark patch behind the ear. Upperparts light grey, with darker grey underwing tips. Red bill with black tip and red legs.

Common and resident all year round.

Coasts, marshes, estuaries, and farmland in winter.

WS- 90Cm

Size- 35Cm



MEDITERRANIAN GULL


Slightly larger than Black Headed Gull, which it resembles. Hood in Mediterranian is JET BLACK. Blood-red bill has black band at the tip-end. Legs are red. Rest of plumage similar to Black Headed Gull.This bird is comparitively rare in the U.K., but Summer visiting numbers are increasing year on year. In Winter, black cap fades as per Black Headed Gull.

Likely to be seen year round.

WS- 95Cm

Size- 40Cm




LITTLE GULL


Migrant. Coloration similar to Black Headed, having small black spot behind ear. The whole of underwing is coloured dark grey. Bill red with black tip. Legs red.

Rare, spending most of time at sea.

To be seen March/May or August/October.

WS- 65Cm

Size- 27Cm



HERRING GULL


One of the commonest of Gulls.Light slate grey back and wings. Tips of wings black. Rest of body white.Legs pink, Bill all yellow, with a red tip.

Can be seen coastal, and to a fair distance inland.

Resident. Can be seen all year.

WS- 145Cm

Size- 65Cm




LESSER BLACK BACK GULL


As per Herring Gull, but for light slate grey read black. Legs are yellow, build is similar to Herring Gull, but lighter. Bill is same as Herring Gull.

Habitat as per Herring Gull.

Year round resident.

WS- 130Cm

Size- 55Cm.



GREAT BLACK BACK GULL


By far the largest gull to be found in Great Britain. Very heavily built. Black back and wings. Bill as per Herring and Lesser, but markedly stouter. Legs are pink.

Habitat is more confined to coastal areas than Herring or Lesser Black Back.

Year round resident bird.

WS- 165Cm

Size- 80Cm



GLAUCUS GULL


This bird is a Winter visitor to UK shores. Back and wings are a silvery grey, lighter that Herring Gull. No black underside to wings. In common with other gulls, yellow bill has a red spor on the lower mandible.

More common on Eastern coasts and Northern Scotland.

Legs are pink.

Mainly winter visitor. To be seen from October to March.

WS- 150Cm

Size- 80Cm



ICELAND GULL


In colouration, similar to Glaucus, but markedly smaller, being similar to Herring Gull in size. Legs light pink, less stout bill than Glaucus Gull.

Winter habitat is mostly on the Northernmost Shores of Scotland.

WS- 135Cm

Size- 65Cm



COMMON GULL


As the name suggests, the commonest Gull to be found on UK coasts. Light grey wings and back. Wings are black at the tips. Legs and bill are yellow, but no red tip as in other gulls.

Can be seen all aroung UK coasts, and increasingly inland.

Year round resident species.

WS- 100Cm

Size- 40Cm




KITTYWAKE


If ever a bird was named for it's call, the Kittywake is it! "KeeKee Waaa. KeeKee Waaa" The bird itself is the same size as the common gull, with the same colouration. The only difference is the leg colouration, which in the Kittywake is black. The bill is also less stout.

Can be seen year round on coastal cliffs, where it breeds in colonies but more common in Winter.

Most likely to be seen from October to March.

WS- 100Cm

Size- 40Cm






Now we turn our attention to the Terns, (Sterninae). These are exclusively Summer visitors,as they come to the North Atlantic to breed, but a few stragglers may be seen into the Winter months. They are more slender than the Gull family, and more graceful in flight. The bill in Terns is also more slenderly built. Breeding is mostly on shingle beaches, and as with the Skuas, they fearlessly attack intruders. In the Northern Winter, they are mostly in the South Atlantic Ocean.




COMMON TERN



Terns are totally coastal birds. You will not see them inland. A lot of breeding is on estuaries. The bird itself is rather Gull like, but of more slender build. The giveaway for the Tern though, is the black cap on the head. Legs are red.

In the Common Tern, the bill is black tipped.

Most likely to be seen from April to September.

WS- 75Cm

Size- 40Cm



ARCTIC TERN


Almost identical to Common Tern. Only difference is NO black tip to bill.

To be seen as per Common Tern.

WS- 75Cm

Size- 40Cm



SANDWICH TERN


Quite distinctive in appearance, the Sandwich Tern can be identified by its yellow tipped black bill, and a shaggy crest in the breeding period, which it will have when it is seen in the U.K. Rest of plumage similar to Common and Arctic species.

To be seem from April to September.

WS- 90Cm

Size- 45Cm



BLACK TERN


The Black Tern is one of the rarest Terns seen in UK, but the author has seen one, so it is included. All dark, but with white leading edges to the underwings. Legs are black. Tail is pale grey.

Would only really be seen as a passage migrant at the beginning of Winter at the latest.

Likely to be seen from March/April or September/October.

WS- 60Cm

Size- 25Cm



ROSEATE TERN


In common with other Terns, the Roseate is more to be seen in Summer.Very similar to Common and Arctic varieties, but differs in that the Roseate has a dark bill, and a salmon pink belly.

Seen from April to September.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 40Cm




LITTLE TERN


The smallest of the 'Sea Terns'. Colouration is much as the other terns so far, but size sets it apart. Confirmation of identification is the fact that the Little Tern has a black tipped yellow bill.

As with all Summer Birds, most likely to be seen between April and September.

WS- 45Cm

Size- 25Cm






Finally, we now turn our attention to the last family of seabirds to be seen in U.K., the Auks.(Alcidae). Auks breed on cliffs or rocky ledges on cliffs, except for the Puffin, that nests in burrows on grassy clifftops.




RAZORBILL


A UK resident, with some Winter/Summer visitors. All black upperwings, head and back in Summer. In Winter, black throat and side of head disappear, fading to white. The bill resembles an old 'cutthroat' razor, with a thin white stripe about one-third of the distance from the tip to base.

The Razorbill nests on remote cliffs, near to the top. Legs and feet are black.

WS- 65Cm

Size- 40Cm



GUILLIMOT



The Guillemot has the same residence status as the Razorbill, and is a similar cliff breeder, although it nests lower down. It has the same colouration charactaristics in Summer and in Winter, but tha black around throat and sides of face recede to white.

In Summer, has 'spectacle' like markings around the eyes and ears.

Legs and feet are dark grey. Sharply pointed bill is black.

WS- 70Cm

Size- 42Cm



PUFFIN


In Summer, when it is more likely to be seen, the Puffin is unmistakeable with its multicoloured bill. All white breast and belly, set off with black cap, back and wings.

Red legs and feet.

Nests in large numbers in burrows carved out of turf, usually on islands and clifftops.

Most likely to be seen from April to September.

WS- 55Cm

Size- 30Cm




BLACK GUILLEMOT


Resident seabird around the Irish Republic and North Scottish coasts. In Summer, distinguished from cousin the Guillemot by being all black, but with mainly white wings.

In Winter, most of the black changes to white, but the cap, neck and upper back fade to grey.

Feet and legs are red.

Breeds in crevices on cliffs and rocks.

WS- 55Cm

Size- 35Cm






And that is about that. There are some others that could have been included, but these are comparitively rare, and unlikely to be seen by the novice or casual observer. Hopefully, though, this item will whet your appetite to find out more about British birds, especially those that can be seen on a trip to the coast.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A54046055

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more