Waycross, Georgia, USA

1 Conversation

A long time ago, in the year of 1872, a great many things happened. For example, Susan B. Anthony attempted to vote and was fined for trying, though she never paid the fine. Far less interesting than any election scandal, however, would be the founding of the city of Waycross, Georgia.

Approximately 50 miles from the Florida border lies this small, rural city, which is an utterly forgettable and often boring piece of Americana. Waycross, a natural hub for everything from pioneer trails to railways, gets its name from its position as a crossroad to just about everywhere in the south. Ironically, it is itself quite in the middle of nowhere. However, it is not without some notable aspects.

For one, it is home to the "Rice Yard," the largest railroad switching and classification system in the United States. Here, trains can be serviced and maintained, and cars are connected in preparation to go out into one of the many directions they can go from this point. This facility is capable of processing over 1,800 Railroad cars per day.

Secondly, it is also the hometown of Burt Reynolds. Reynolds, known for his roles in such Box-Office flops as Rent-A-Cop, Cop-and-1/2, and Universal Soldier III, was born on February 11, 1936. Other shameful appearances include (but are not in any way limited to) the 1972 Ned Beatty bestiality film, "Deliverance" and posing nude in Cosmopolitan. Perhaps his most noted role was in the 1977 film, "Smokey and the Bandit," which involved a great deal of fast driving in a black Pontiac Trans-Am and went head-to-head with another revolutionary 1977 film, "Star Wars" (a movie that contained far fewer black Trans-Ams).

Every year, the Waycross city government holds a festival in honor of Walt Kelley's syndicated comic strip about the Okefenokee Swamp, Pogo. Pogofest is held annually to recognize the work of Walt Kelley, the creator of the political satire comic strip, Pogo. Pogo is, quite simply, a possum. His friends include (but are not in any way limited to) a turtle, an alligator, a skunk, and a dog; all representatives of Okefenokee Swamp natives. The Okefenokee Swamp, or "Land of the Trembling Earth," is a remarkably big swamp in the traditional swamp motif, including (but not limited to) hungry alligators, deadly snakes, bird-sized mosquitoes, swamp gas, and an abundance of various shades of the color green. People who accidentally wander into it will most likely not come out alive, meaning they won't come out at all.

While considerably boring and consistently uninteresting, Waycross is not without its strong points. Unfortunately, they have yet to be fully discovered. Once they are, perhaps this entry can be updated to reflect this.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A544754

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more