Gillingham FC

1 Conversation

Who are Gillingham FC?

Gillingham Football Club is the only football league team in Kent, England. Gillingham itself is situated in the Medway towns on the North coast of Kent, approximately 35 miles from central London.

Are they any good? Well, they have been over recent seasons. The club currently play in division 1 (season 2001), having come up from the basement division in 1996, and being promoted again last season, 2000. A few giant killing exploits have also brought them media attention over recent years.

It wasn't looking so good 6 years ago. A last day victory staved off de-motion from the league, and bankrupcy was only saved at the eleventh hour by Paul Scally, who bought the club for a nominal sum. He has since overseen the rise of the team, and the rebuilding of the stadium. The stadium has been transformed from, well, little more than an Anderson shelter and some concrete steps, to a 10,500 capacity ground, with three sides rebuilt.

Facts

Team Colours: Currently Blue Shirts, White Shorts (but has been blue/black striped shirts and black shorts in recent seasons).

Formed: 1893 (New Brompton). Changed name in 1913 (Gillingham).

League History: Football League 1920-38 and 1950 to date.

First Team Honours: Division Two play-off winners 1999-2000, Division Four Champions 1963-64.

Contacts

Ground: Priestfield Stadium, Redfern Avenue, Gillingham, Kent.

Nickname: The Gills

Official website: http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A551332

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more