The Overuse of Exclamation Marks

1 Conversation

The overuse of exclamation marks is a common occurence in today's ever-increasing internet society. It has been further heightened with the advent of the Text Message, encouraging young, optimistic and sadly illiterate teenagers to communicate with each other in a manner such as this:

"HI ROB!!!!!!! HOW R U???!! Im felin fine!!! I jus want you 2 no: I NEV R SNOGED TONY AL RITE!!!!!!!! CYA M8!! LUV U!!!"

This is a sadly realistic demonstration of the abuse English puntuation suffers today. As a general rule, only one exclamation mark is needed per sentence, with two allowed on very special occasions. Any more than that is bordering on the rim of ridicule. Indeed, frequent use of more than five exclamation marks often indicates that it is only a matter of time before the person in question sinks into a state of criminal insanity. Soon scrawled notes appear at the scenes of highly unpleasant crimes with things like "Aahahahahahaha!!!!!" written on them. At that stage, there is almost no hope left for the person in question.

Therefore we must do all that we can to discourage such perverse usage of the English language at all costs, before the planet transforms into a world of m8s and d00dz and excessive exclamations, at which point humanity will revert back to the stone age and there can be no escape for any of us.

Be brave, my friends; for, armed with an infinite supply of punctuation, good will prevail.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A552214

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more