h2g2 Post 24.05.01

3 Conversations



Posted: 24th May 2001

Editorial

Welcome to edition 64 of The Post

The post is on strike... not this one, the postal service in England, or a fair proportion of it anyway. How does this affect me you may ask? It doesn't really, especially as I am now based in Holland, but it is certainly affecting an awful lot of people.

Although the art of letter-writing is supposed to be a dying one, many still rely heavily on the postal system as a means of communication. Of course we all get heartily fed up with the regular diet of unsolicited advertisements and special offers which are now a part of the daily mail delivery... and all those dreadful party-political pamphlets don't help the tree population of South America one bit; but to some people any written word is better then no word at all.

I experienced the same when my email suddenly stopped pouring into my inbox. A feeling of isolation, frustration and worry that I was missing something important. This was further exacerbated by finding out that, because I had moved from one Domain manager to another, the original company had deleted all the mail sitting waiting to be picked up. This felt like an affront to the system. I was used to thinking that 'mail' via the internet was as protected as 'mail' through a letter box... protected by law and not to be interfered with! Apparently this is not the case... so beware!

This week's edition is somewhat smaller than normal, mainly due to recent events and the fact that a lot of our contributors are students who are now ploughing through 'end of termers'... good luck guys!


Any copy, articles, suggestions and letters should be sent to The Editor. Please use this same address if you are interested in volunteering to become a regular contributor.

shazzPRME

FeaturesRegulars
  • The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A564897

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more