Project Computer Viruses- What are viruses?

2 Conversations

In the simplest form, a computer virus is a program that does something that is not considered conductive to computing. There almost as many definitions for Computer Virus as there are computer viruses:

  • Virus (computer), self-replicating computer program that interferes with a computer's hardware or operating system (the basic software that runs the computer). Viruses are designed to replicate and to elude detection. Like any other computer program, a virus must be executed to function—that is, it must be loaded from the computer's memory, and the virus's instructions must then be followed by the computer. These instructions are called the payload of the virus. The payload may disrupt or change data files, display a message, or cause the operating system to malfunction.


    There are other harmful computer programs that are similar to viruses but do not both replicate and elude detection. These programs fall into three categories: Trojan horses, logic bombs, and worms. A Trojan horse appears to be something interesting and harmless, such as a game, but when it runs it may have harmful effects. A logic bomb delivers its payload when it is triggered by a specific condition, such as when a particular date or time is reached or when a combination of letters is typed. A worm only makes copies of itself, but it can take up computer memory and slow the computer's processes. (Referenced from the Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Online.)

  • A computer program that is designed to replicate itself by copying itself into the other programs stored in a computer. It may be benign or have a negative effect, such as causing a program to operate incorrectly or corrupting a computer's memory. (Referenced from www.dictionary.com)

  • A computer program that copies itself into the other programs stored in a computer with either a benign or negative effect.(Referenced from The American Heritage College Dictionary, Third Edition. Copyright 1997, 1993 Houghton-Mifflin Company.)

  • A computer program that rips your system to shreds, and sends it on to everyone else you know to rip them to shreds. You really shouldn't have run it in the first place!(This is my own definition. Like you couldn't tell.)


There are quite a few more definitions, but you get the drift.


Back to the index.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A602308

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Currently in:

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more