intelligence and genetics

1 Conversation

Intelligence and Genetics

Is there a genetic basis for intelligence?

Absolutely. Unfortunately, due to the fact that there are over a thousand different genes that go to make up how our minds work, this subject is only just beginning. At the moment (October 2001), genetics is at the stage where they are still working on the diseases where a single gene causes specific health problems.

As the human genome project gets underway, there is just starting to be enough information available to untangle which chemicals certain genes code for. It will be a number of years before this data is sufficient to start the process of understanding the genetic basis of intelligence.

Twin Studies

On the other hand, identical twins have identical genes, so using psychometrics, you can identify the differences between the individuals, and you can be sure that the differences are not due to genetics. This gives you a handle on doing psychological investigations of intelligence.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A639281

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more