Aconite Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Aconite

2 Conversations

Aconite (Aconitum anglicum), also known as Monkshood or Wolfsbane, is a mountain plant that prefers damp and shady areas at higher altitudes. It is found throughout Europe and temperate Asia, extending as far as the Arctic Circle. It is rarely found in the British Isles, flowering in a few localised areas between May and June, and is often mistaken for Garden Monkshood (Aconitum napellus).

It is a hairless perennial, which grows up to 6 feet tall. Its leaves are cut into five principal pointed segments, which are further divided to appear fan-like. The flower is a dark blue-violet, helmet shape, found at the top of the plant.

It is intensely poisonous, the toxins are concentrated in the roots. It appears in Greek literature where it was used as a form of euthanasia, for those who had reached senility. It also grows at the gates of Hell, and also where the saliva of Cerberus (the hound of hell) drips. It is said that the name Wolfsbane originates from the Anglo-Saxon practice of dipping arrowheads in the juice, before going out to hunt wolves.

When rubbed into the skin, it gives a tingling sensation followed by numbness, and when it's combined with other ingredients it is believed to give a sensation of flying, hence its use in the witches' 'flying ointment'.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A642971

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more