Helleborus and the Hellebore Genus Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Helleborus and the Hellebore Genus

2 Conversations

A helleborus plant in bloom.

Once used by the ancient Greeks for poisoning the wells of their enemies, this small group of fully to half-hardy perennials is invaluable for bringing the garden alive during the dark winter months, providing both architectural boldness and unusual floral displays.

Hellebores are modest-sized (up to 24"/60cm), clump-forming perennials with leathery, evergreen foliage. Thick-petalled, bowl-shaped flowers appear during winter and early spring in shades of pale green, white, raspberry and maroon through to the darkest purples. Plant in clusters of three to five plants to make a bold, arresting statement.

Cultural Requirements

These are plants of the woodland margin, requiring both moderate moisture and shade.

Preferred Soil Conditions

Hellebores are generally unfussy regarding soil type but perform best in a well-drained, humus-rich soil, avoiding direct sunlight and excessive competition from tree roots for moisture. An annual mulch of organic compost will yield dividends, and a deeply-dug addition of grit may help to improve drainage in locations prone to waterlogging.

Propagation

Most will self-seed freely, though Helleborus orientalis types will rarely come true and are slow to germinate. Division in autumn or very early spring will tend to lead to a prolonged sulk as these plants resent root disturbance.

Selected Species and Varieties

Click on external links for photographs:

  • Helleborus argutifolius - A handsome plant with large, divided, spiny, dark-green leaves. Vigorous, though not fully hardy as it originates from the Mediterranean area (it was once named Helleborus Corsicus). Carries large clusters of pale-green flowers from late winter.

  • Helleborus foetidus (Stinking hellebore) - Striking, deeply-divided, palm-like leaves hang like dark-green veils below panicles of red-lipped, pale-green flowers borne from late winter. It is native to many parts of Eurasia and Britain.

  • Helleborus niger (Christmas rose) - White, nodding, cup-shaped flowers appear above divided, dark-green leaves in winter. This species is native to central/eastern Europe.

  • Helleborus orientalis (Lenten rose) - An Eastern Mediterranean species almost invariably offered in hybrid variety. Similar in habit to Helleborus niger but flowering somewhat later in yellow-green, white, pink or maroon.

Garden Virtues

Hellebores provide year-round structure and interest, and invaluable activity during the winter months.

Versatility

  • Brighten and beautify an untidy, dank, dark corner with Helleborus argutifolius.

  • Allow sun-lit drifts of spring bulbs to merge into contrasting shaded stands of Helleborus orientalis to extend and unify the display.

Pleasing Associations

Plant amongst other well-structured but contrasting woodlanders to produce strong combinations:

  • Hosta sieboldii
  • Pieris 'Forest Flame'
  • Meconopsis betonicifolia
  • Ferns
  • Dwarf rhododendrons
  • Honeysuckles

Botanical Details

The genus does not include the pokeweeds - American, false or white hellebore (Veratrum spp) - or the winter hellebore (Eranthis hyemalis).

Family

Ranunculaceae - the Buttercup family includes many of Britain's most well-known woodland and meadow flowers. Cultivated varieties are naturally suited to British conditions, associate well, and should be strongly represented in the woodland and cottage garden.

Related Genera

  • Aconitum - Monkshood, Wolf's bane
  • Actaea - Baneberry
  • Anemone - Windflower
  • Aquilegia - Columbine
  • Clematis - Old Man's Beard, Traveller's Joy
  • Consolida - Larkspur
  • Delphinium
  • Hepatica
  • Nigella - Love-in-a-mist
  • Pulsatilla - Pasque flower
  • Ranunculus - Buttercup, Celandine
  • Thalictrum - Meadow Rue
  • Trollius - Globeflower

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A649208

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more