Punch and Judy

2 Conversations

Punch and Judy are traditional puppet performers. Once common, Punch and Judy shows are now relegated to sea-side resorts and the occasional village fair.


Punch is a hunchback with an enormous, hooked nose. He always appears in a gaudy striped costume with a pointed hat. He always carries a club or a stick, with which he bludgeons Judy, his wife.

The story, which has only altered in minor details and embellishments for hundreds of years, is extremely violent. Where the performance has not been outlawed, it is now considered the domain of children.

    The traditional cast of characters are:
  • Punch, the hunchback
  • Judy (originally Joan), his wife
  • Baby
  • Policeman
  • Darkie, usually a servant
  • Crocodile/Devil
  • Clown
  • Toby, a dog (sometimes a live animal)
  • Jack Ketch, the hangman
  • Ghost


There are frequently other non-traditional characters.


The plot is always a variant of: Punch kills the Baby; Punch kills Judy; Punch kills the Policeman, the Hangman, and basically everyone else. Punch is always harried into situations from which he is able to escape by violence and murder and murderous puns. Like Pantomime, the show relies heavily on audience participation.


The origins of Punch and Judy are obscure; but can probably be traced to ancient India and/or ancient Greece. It has certainly been performed in England in, more or less, it's present form since the seventeenth century.


It's lasting appeal seems to lie in the suggestion that complex problems can be solved by simple means (i.e. Punch's club).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A67547

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more