Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

4 Conversations

Background



Sir Isaac Newton, born in 1642 at Woolsthorpe Manor, in Lincolnshire was an English physicist and mathematician. His father died before he was born and he had an unhappy childhood. He went to Cambridge University in 1661, was elected Fellow of Trinity College in 1667 and Professor of Mathematics in 1669 at the age of 26. He lectured there until 1696. However he had to go back to Lincolnshire in 1665 because the Plague shut the University. In the 18 months before he could return he did much of his most important work. He was knighted in 1705 and died in 1727. He is buried in Westminster Abbey.

Scientific Achievements



He invented a new telescope, which gave a better view of the planets in motion. He is well known for creating the foundations of physics as a modern discipline. Newton's greatest achievement was to demonstrate that scientific principles are of universal application. He clearly defined the nature of mass, weight, force, inertia, and acceleration. In 1679 Newton calculated the Moon's motion on the basis of his theory of gravity.

The Apple Thing



Newton began to study the phenomenon of gravitation in 1665, inspired, according to legend, by seeing an apple fall from a tree.

Mathematical Achievements



Newton was also highly interested in algebra and number theory, classical and analytical geometry, computation, approximation, and probability.

Literary Achievements



In 1684 he wrote “De motu corporum in gyrum” (On the Motion of Bodies in Orbit) Between 1665 and 1667 he discovered the laws of Mechanics and of Gravity which he set out in “Philosophiae naturalis principia mathematica” (usually just called the Principia). The publication of the Principia was financed by his friend Edmond Halley. In 1704, Newton summed up his life's work on light in “Opticks”.

Other Achievements



He resisted James II's attacks on the liberties of the universities, and sat in the parliaments of 1689 and 1701–02 as a Whig. He was appointed warden of the Royal Mint in 1696, and master in 1699. Most of the last 30 years of his life were taken up by studies of theology and chronology, and experiments in alchemy.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A683129

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more