Zaphodistas' Last Gasp Petition Drive and Celebration of the One Year Anniversary of BBC rule!

3 Conversations

But wait! Isn't that about as absurd as a billboard in Lhasa, Tibet saying, "Pabst Blue Ribbon celebrates the 50th anniversary of the peaceful liberation of Tibet"?

Not quite. In our case, a celebration may be the best tactic to force a surrender by our adversary. You see, h2g2 techmaster Jim Lynn has inadvertantly1 suggested a revolutionary new strategy for anyone opposed to moderation on h2g2. He wrote:

There's interest from all parts of the BBC to use DNA. The reason we have implemented pre-moderation on a site-by-site basis is so sites aimed at children can use it but remain safe for such use.
My point elsewhere was about the cost of moderation. While it was only h2g2, the cost was bearable. As traffic increases, our feeling is that the cost of total moderation will outweigh whatever benefits accrue from it, and we'll be able to move to reactive moderation.2 But this isn't going to happen overnight, because the traffic will take time to reach that point.
What we're continuing to do (which is helped by new sites coming on line, each having to address the costs and benefits (or otherwise) of moderation) is push for our previous model of no moderation, leaving the complaint system in place for when it's necessary. It's like chipping our way through a brick wall, but we'll start seeing the light soon.
But don't expect miracles, please. Moderation isn't going to vanish overnight...3

So to bring an end to pro-active moderation, we don't need to scream bloogy murder. We don't have to break any rules or spam threads with protest or make denial-of-service attacks on anyone. We just have to increase traffic to the point that pro-active moderation will become a losing battle. Everyone who is disturbed by pro-active moderation, whether it totally infuriates you or just slightly annoys you, the way to end it is to increase the membership of h2g2 and BBC! Also, increased usage will help strain the moderation system earlier, so it's imperative that we spend even more time on h2g2 than we have before!

You are going to party like it's 2999. And you're going to do it in order to further The Cause!

Get Grandma logged in and using h2g2! Badger all your friends to use h2g2. Set the browser homepages on all the computers at work to h2g2 or 360. Shower your praise on the "Researchers with the Most Postings in 24 Hours" and "Researchers with the Longest Postings in 24 Hours" (found on the info page)! Leave your computer on h2g2 while you're asleep, wake the cat and slather your keyboard with catnip-marinated butter!

Okay, it would not be very nice to simulate increased traffic by making your cat dance on the keyboard, or unleashing an infinite number of monkeys in a computer lab. Just maximize the party atmosphere, make new people feel welcome. Get into conversations that you formerly would have left alone. Check out 360 and any other new BBC subsites, where you'll find new topics, new projects, and meet new people. Don't bitch about moderation, sounding like a cranky old Zaphodista, when you can gradually groove moderation out of existence! This is The New Way of Zaphodistas! I have done a great disservice by focusing on the "-distas" part of this group, and ignoring the "Zaphod" part. Jim Lynn has actually described a way that we can be so froody that moderation will disintegrate.

More interesting comments from Jim Lynn in posting 81 of that same conversation thread:

[This strategy to overload moderation] will only become a hassle if your proposed increased activity was in posting lots of things that need moderating. If we were to see an increase in posting, and were able to say, 'Look, only 0.001% of posts need any kind of moderation, and 99% of those are passed after referral,' then the cost/benefit calculation becomes a no brainer.
If the BBC can save money *and* regain lost goodwill *and* look like a forward-thinking organisation, then I think they will.

Last Gasp Petition Drive

At last count, 211 researchers have added their names to the original Zaphodistas page. Only 125 or so researchers have electronically signed the Petition for Greater Freedom on h2g2. And some of those were non-Zaphos who signed. Considering that the collaborating on the Petition and promoting it has been the highpoint of all Zaphodista activity, it's sad that only half the group has signed.

We still see a few signatures trickling in from people who stumble across it, maybe one every 3 or 4 weeks these days. So we might as well wrap it up and go out with a bang. What better way to celebrate the first anniversary of BBC restrictions (13 March 2002) than by giving one last push for new signatures on the Petition, then printing off all the online signatures and mailing a hard copy to Peta? Last I heard, there had been eight paper copies received at Bush House. The underlying message I've picked up from discussion with Mark was that the only signatures that would be taken seriously by BBC were those eight paper copies. So I'm willing to save you the cost of postage. Simply read over the online Petition, add your name to the discussion thread titled SIGN UP HERE! And a physical reproduction of the signature threads in glorious black and white, expressing your feelings about BBC restrictions, will soon make its way to Bush House.

If you're really eager to see the tail end of moderation, then please consider signing the Petition. Mention it to people who might sign it, in conversations where it's relevant, or publicize it in your nickname "petition A544943" or give a link to it from your userspace. And break out your Goo Beret!

END MODERATION by PARTYING HARDER!!







2U220UU0 +UU 2UU UU + 0+ 022U
U+ +UMH+ MM MM 22 2M +MM2 2M0+2
+MMU U2+MH +MM+2MU MM00MH UH UH+ UM+2MM +MM H2+H 2MM2 +H20MU UUMH+ UM0UM0UMM2HMU2HM2 UMM++U+ 2H2+M0+UMU+
+MMU + 202MM MM 0M0 MM MM 2M0 0M02MM MM MM HMHU MM +200MM H22MMU 0MU 0MM 0M0 0M0 HMU2+ HM MM 0M0
+MM0 +H+MU MM MM 0M2 MM MM 2M0 0M02MM MM MM +0HM0 MM 2M00MM U HM0 0M0 0MM 0M0 0M0 HM2 HM MM 0M0
+UUU2220U2+MH2UM+ MM+0H2 +UU22UU+ 2U2U0 2HU2MH++UU2 U000 UM2 2MU+HM+ +0U2 20UU2 0U0+ 0UU+0U020U0 +U +000U+ 0U0+
MM UU++
+222 +2
+2U22202 0UU + 2UU +2UU02 UU +UU 2U2
2MM +2 0MM 2M 2+ MM0 ++ MM 00 2
2MM0 +0MM 20+0MM20M2 2H2+M2 UMU2HH2MM0UMU U0+MH 2MM UM0 2MM2+UMM +H22M2 MM0 +MM MM+2HH UU UH +MM2UM22U UM2 UMU2 UM0 2H2+M0 UMH2HM2
2MM0 HM02+ 0MM MM HM22UU 0MU MM 0MM 222MM MM 0M0 MM 0MM HM ++ MM0 + MM MM 0M02MU20U2 MM+ +02UM0 0M0 0M0 HM MM 0M0 0M0
UMM 2 MM+ 0MM MU HM0 + 0M0 MM 0MM +MU MM MM 0M0 MM 0MM UMU MM0 22 MM MM 0M+2MH + MM UM+0M0 0M0 0M0 UM MM 0M0 0M0
+0U2222 +H 2U0 00+ +0U02+ 0U0+ 2UU+0UU++UU20U2 0U00U0+ UU2+0UU+ 0U02+ +2UU0220U +UU2 U2++U+ 2UU22 +UU2 0U02U0 +U02 0U0++0++U+ 0U020U0
2UU2
+2

_MMMMMMMMM_ ___MMMMMMMMMMM_.
._MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMML. .JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM_
.MMMMMMMMMMFMMMMMMMMMMMMML__ __MMMMMMMMMMMMMF" MMMMMMMMMM_
_MMMMMMMMMMMF 4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMML. _MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM` .(MMMMMMMMMMML.
JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM_ .MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMML
(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM .MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMML
(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM) MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM)
(MMMMMMMMF" """4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM""" ""MMMMMMM)
.MMMMMM"` "4MMMMMMMMMMMM) JMMMMMMMMMMMM" `MMMMMM.
`MMMMMF (MMMMMMMMMMM. (MMMMMMMMMMM` (MMMMM
(MMMM) 4MMMMMMMMMML (MMMMMMMMMMF (MMMMF
MMMM) . ._______ MMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMML._MMML_____ . ______. (MMMM
(MMMM JMMMMMMMMM) MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM` JMMMMMM""MM MMMMM
(MMMMM ``.JMMM4MMF MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM4MMM. ""M"4MMML ` MMMMML
.MMMMMMF _MMM`" .M) M)MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM4`` (ML (MM" 4MMMMMML
._MMMMMMMMM) 4FF (M4MMMMMMMMMMMM)` (MMMMMMMMMM4MMF/ 44" MMMMMMMMML
MMMMMMMMM ) ``(MMMMMMMMMM_ JMMMMMMMMMMM. . ) MMMMMMMMM
. MMMMMMMM . ` )JMMMMMMMMMMMMM_ _MMMMMMMMMMMMML_` L. MMMMMMMML.
MMMMMMMMML JJL__MMM_ MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMFF(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. .MMFL_`MM MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMM ` `M4F` .MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM) ""M) .MMMMMMMMMM`
MMMMMMMMMMM .. _M. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM JMF (M MMMMMMMMMMM)
MMMMMMMMMMM (MMML. (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM .JMMMM) _MMMMMMMMMMM
` _MMMMMMMMMMMM. .4( __JMMMMMMMML_MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF4""`_.)() MMMMMMMMMM"ML
"` `MMMMMMMM) (M (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM) () (4MMMMMMMM
.) MMMMMMMMMM `) ._____MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. ` (MMMMMMMMMM ()
(M__MMMMMMMMMMML. `4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF) MMMMMMMMMMMM_JM`
4MMMMMMMMMMMMM (. (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM`F ((MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM () MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM) (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
""4FMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM______JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM` `(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM___JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM4
/.M(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM4MMM) (MMM)MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF"`"
FMMMMM(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM `(M 4L MM4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM(
.JMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF `4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.__
,-==--MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF "---,
,--" `4MMMMMMMMMM"MMMMM4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ` MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMFMFMMMF""4MM4MMMMMM". "---,
---" FMMMMMM. M `4L 4.)MMFMMMMMMMMMMM. (MMMMMMMMMMM4MM/(F ("` _M JMMMMF(( "---
.. `F) 4MMMMM__ M((MLMMMMMMMMMM"M, ,'""MMMMMMMMMMMMM.F` ._MMMMMMF F4 _..
`"MMMM` ML( `MMMMMMMML_ `MMMMMMMMMMMMMM. "--------------" .MMMMMMMMMMMMMM) JMMMMMMMM) .J( MMMF)
4MM. MMF )MMMMMMMMMMM(F4MMMMMMMMMM` MMMMMMMMMF"`MMMMMMMMMMMMF` .MM .MM`
FML) `MM MMMMMMMMMMMMMJMMMMMMMMF` ``MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM `(MM JMM .
F(MM `M) 4MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM4F ((MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMF` (M` .MFF"
`4_ (M) `MMMMMMMMML)MMMMMM).`. (/MMMMMMJMMMMMMMMM` JMF """
`MMMM .MMMMMMMMM)(MMFM "" `"44MM MMMMMMMM) 4MMM
`4MM "4MMMMMM (M)) (M) MMFM)""( JMF
. 4 "" `M) ``` (M ` F`
( )) (( .

) (

1Maybe he did it advertantly, but let's just say it was inadvertant so he won't get in trouble for it.2EMPHASIS ADDED! No, this footnote was not in the middle of Mr. Lynn's original posting.3Quoted from posting 61 of this thread around 1 FEB 2002, depending on whether I screwed up the calculation of EST to GMT. With any luck, this excerpt will go down in History as "The Lynn Doctrine."

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A689628

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more