Microlights As Filming Platforms

1 Conversation

A key part of the vision for 360 is to combine adventure with our purpose. From the start we will be using microlights


(click here to watch a video)
, which fly low and slow, as filming platforms. Dozens of microlight aviators worldwide have already indicated their willingness to fly on 360 projects, filming events and projects, contributing to The Book of Solutions. When coupled with webcams and GPS these inexpensive filming platforms will create a video map of the changing world1.

BMAA Video Clips

The BMAA (British Microlight Aircraft Association) is the governing body for microlighting in the UK. Chris Finnegan is the Chief Executive, Guy Gratton is the Chief Technical Officer and you can watch them talking about different aspects of the sport.

(1) What does the BMAA really think about the 360 Project?

Play the Video

(2) Microlights as filming platforms - where will the cameras go?

Play the Video

(3) Just how safe are microlights? See what the BMAA has to say...

Play the Video

(4) Find out from Guy how the strength of microlights compares with larger aircraft.

Play the Video

(5) Watch Guy explaining the handling differences between microlights and light aircraft.

Play the Video

(6) Find out why Guy thinks microlights make excellent filming platforms.

Play the Video

Microlight Hero

Brian Milton is one of the great aviators of the modern age and a true champion of microlights. In 1987 he flew a three-axis microlight, one that looks like a small aeroplane, from London to Sydney in 59 days. He survived being wrecked on a Greek Island, three desert landings and a forced ditching in the Arabian Sea.

In 1998 he became the first person to fly a flexwing microlight, one that looks like a hang glider with a pod beneath it, around the globe. This amazing feat was completed in just 71 flying days. During this mission Brian crossed the Bering Strait between Russia and America, was buzzed by a Syrian Mig fighter jet in Syria, and endured extremes of heat and cold. He was also the first microlight pilot to cross the Atlantic, west to east.

Brian spoke to the 360 team about his love of microlights and why he thinks they're the right machine to use on 360 Projects. If you'd like to find out more about Brian then do visit his own website www.brian-milton.com

To see what Brian had to say click on one of the links below:

(1) Find out about Brian Milton's passion for microlights. (Aerial footage kindly supplied by Richard Cook).

Play the Video

(2) There are two types of microlight - fixed wings and flexwings. Which does Brian prefer?

Play the Video

(3) The alternative expeditionary vehicle for 360 would be a helicopter. See why Brian thinks microlights are the better option.

Play the Video

 
1Thumbnail pictures courtesy of Sacha van Straten.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A705610

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more