Weird World

1 Conversation

Life found 'on margin of existence'

Microbes found beneath the sea floor are pushing the boundaries of life on Earth and may hold clues to life on other worlds.

An international team of biologists and geologists are drilling into the sea floor off the coast of South America to recover live bacteria that do not need sunlight, carbon dioxide or oxygen.
They exist in such extreme conditions that the findings may hold clues to life on other worlds.

'The implications of this mission are exciting.'

said Jack Baldauf, deputy director of the Ocean Drilling Program (ODP) at Texas A&M University.
'Earlier voyages have found specimens of these bacteria at depths of up to 800 meters (2625 feet) below the sea floor, and we estimate that they may number between 10 and 30% of the Earth's biota.

That means that the biosphere is larger than previously thought - it doesn't just stop at the sea floor.'

Other expeditions have obtained samples of these bacteria, but so far researchers know very little about their real numbers, their diversity, or their role in the biogeochemistry of the oceans.


The DoctorMO Archive


DoctorMO


07.03.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A705881

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more