Talking Point: Good to Talk

3 Conversations

They say a problem shared is a problem halved1. But is that always true?

In this modern media age we are encouraged to be open and share our feelings as much as possible. Our national newspapers and magazines are stuffed full of celebrities bearing their souls and revealing all about their personal lives. Reality TV contestants are almost expected to blub uncontrollably as part of their 'journey'. While the whole psychotherapy and psychiatry industry - often referred to as the 'talking cure' - is founded on the principle that discussing your problems is the first step to solving them.

But, as a nation, does the idea of dropping your defences fly in the face of centuries-held notions of British restraint? Brief Encounter would be a very different film if Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard threw caution to the wind and consummated their feelings rather than keeping them bubbling beneath their English reserve. But is it always better to let it all hang out?

  • Not being afraid to show your emotions is considered to be a good thing. But is it better to hold some things back and not burden those around you with every problem or petty annoyance that bothers you?

  • Or do you think that bottling up how you really feel is the least healthy way of dealing with your problems? Or that if you can't talk to your friends then speaking to a friendly stranger or professional, via organisations like the Samaritans, can really help?

  • Or has this need to publically share our problems gone too far? Do you respect celebrities who don't make their private lives public? Are you closer in attitude to the makers of US sitcom Seinfeld with their maxim of 'no hugging, no sharing'2?

  • We've all, at some point in our lives, come across people who pride themselves on their bluntness and honesty. But where does saying what you really mean stop and simple plain rudeness begin?

As fictional radio shrink Frasier Crane would say, we're listening...

1We're not sure of the exact mathamatical accuracy of this. The research is sketchy at best.2And, of course, when it comes to party food, no 'double-dipping'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A71709474

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more