360 - Changing the World by Degrees

0 Conversations


Latest news from 360 - Changing the World by Degrees.

Richard and Maggy from 360 spent a couple of a days in Birmingham, UK, last week with the 80 delegates to the United Nations Education committee's 'Your Wake Up Call' conference. All the delegates were between 13 and 18 and 20 of them had never left their home country of South Africa before.

Richard opened the conference, both talking to the delegates on Sunday night when they arrived and officially giving the first talk at the Young People's Parliament at Millennium Point in Birmingham. He told them about 360, Changing the World by Degrees, which can help them keep in touch during their projects - and all 80 have registered - although they haven't got round to writing their personal spaces yet!

All the young people are making pledges to work to help the environment - and one of the projects in Birmingham was to design and cook a specimen meal which they plan to serve to world leaders at the Johannesburg Earth Summit in September.

For that, they divided up into four groups. The most popular one was the one actually doing the cooking - though if the others could have seen the brave cooks with eyes streaming over cutting up onions, they might have had a different opinion. The other three took care of planning the menu, designing the room and the table - and getting the media involved.

It was a real adventure for all the delegates, particularly the South Africans. Some of them were delayed in getting here because of visa problems but they made up for their late arrival with their enthusiasm.


MaggyW


Changing The World By Degrees Archive

18.04.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A732449

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more