Babe Among The Stars: December 2010

2 Conversations

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Extragalactic Visitor

Quite the weirdest (astronomy-speaking) thing I've heard about all year has to be the discovery of an extragalactic planet in our own galaxy. The gas giant orbits the dying star HIP 13044, so the planet has been dubbed HIP 13044 b. Of all the extrasolar planets detected so far, HIP 13044 b is unique in that it began life outside our galaxy, probably in a dwarf galaxy which wandered too near the Milky Way and ended up being absorbed in what astronomers call 'galactic cannibalism'. When I mentioned it to my teenage son, his first question was: How do they know? which is what I was wondering too, but the astronomers know HIP 13044 belongs to a group of stars called the 'Helmi stream' which are known to have originated in a different, smaller galaxy. One of the planet's discoverers, Rainer Klement of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Heidelberg, Germany, said: For the first time, astronomers have detected a planetary system in a stellar stream of extragalactic origin. This cosmic merger has brought an extragalactic planet within our reach. Although 'within our reach' is on a cosmic time/distance scale (HIP 13044 lies 2,000 light years1 away) it's still an exciting discovery, as it's proof that solar systems can survive galactic encounters known as 'cosmic trainwrecks', so there's hope for the Earth yet. The Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are on a collision course, and we know the galaxies will be torn apart during their titanic struggle, before their eventual merger. But at least we now know that there's a possibility that our Solar System may remain intact!

Christmas Scenes in Space

Most people complain about the cold of winter, but we get off lightly compared to the weather on say, Enceladus, a moon of Saturn, where ice geysers erupt at temperatures of −200°C. Brr! Setting the wintry scene, how about a snowflake in space? That cosmic feature is an open cluster with nebulosity nestled beyond the constellation of Monoceros 'the Unicorn'. Who likes Christmas trees? There's something similar to our traditional Christmas symbol, also in Monoceros — a diffuse nebula catalogued NGC 2264 which features a star cluster called, funnily enough, the Christmas Tree Cluster. Whatever you are doing over the festive season, alone or in company, celebrating or can't-wait-till-it's-over, I wish you well, be happy, and please join me in a toast to absent friends. smiley - bubblyHere's to 2011, which has an exciting start in the world of astronomy — I've referenced the dates in a sneak preview for you.

December Diary Dates

Due to the extended Post Christmas break, here are the early January diary dates:

January 2011 Diary Dates


  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among the Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

29.11.2010 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Motion is a marriage of time and space, so the amount of time light takes to reach us is a measure of the distance. A light year is the distance light travels in one year, roughly 5.88 trillion miles or 9.46 trillion km.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A77542239

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more