Little Rant #1

1 Conversation

What follows is what will probably be an expanding rant, er, I mean, discourse on a particular issue that appeared in the Washington Post on August 7th.

The Article


The Washington Post article that started it all: "A Timely Subject -- and a Sore One"

First Response



The Washington Post allows readers to post their responses to articles in online forums. To the article, which really p'd me off, I responded:

I think the UNC student body president said it best: "If you're not prepared to read ideas that are not your own and that you might disagree with, you do not belong at an institution of higher learning."


The only argument any opposition to this assignment ever had was that it was a mandatory reading of a religious nature at a public institution, which would technically - if one wanted to argue it - violate separation of church and state statutes. Now that the reading is no longer mandatory, they haven't a legal leg to stand on.



To argue that learning about another culture is seditious or somehow harmful is the worst kind of bigoted ignorance. Bill O'Reilly and Rev. Graham's comments on "our enemy's religion" and the "evil" of Islam are disgusting. Osama bin Laden's religion is no more representative of Islam, with its many different sects and variations of belief, as a whole, than a priest who participated in the Inquisition is of all Catholicism, or a Hindu extremist who destroys a Muslim temple in Kashmir is of all Hinduism.



I will be deeply saddened if the conservative extremists and anti-intellectual isolationist fraidy-cats win their case, and it will be one more blow against this country's already frail education system and our already shaky global image.


Another reader responded to my post, and particularly my support of the UNC body president's statement, with:
Would you feel the same, one wonders, if it was the christian bible? Or would you be complaining about the christian coalition then too?

to which I of course had to better explain and defend myself, which led to the:

Second Response


If it was non-mandatory - which UNC has adjusted the assignment to be - then no, I'd have no problem with that. I would probably be far less interested in reading the Bible, since I'm very familiar with it (Catholic) and would therefore not be expanding my cultural knowledge. The assignment on the Quar'an has the additional benefit of being not only an exercise in culture studies, but also of being relevant to current events and a major multinational foreign policy crisis.


The great detriment in both Rev. Graham and Bill O'Reilly's remarks is not their espousal of their religion over another's (which, as annoying as I find that, is generally to be expected from strongly religious people, whatever their religion is), but two things:



1) their attempt to dictate policy to an institution that they have no affiliation with in any size, shape, or form, based on their perceived moral superiority.



2) their bigoted belief in the inherent evil of a multi-faceted, multi-cultural religion, and their perpetuation of an all-too-common human fallacy, the "us vs. them" knee-jerk response - which is that, that which is not "us" (in their case, white, conservative, Christian and Western) is something Else, something Different, something to be feared and destroyed. The belief that if we are good people anyone who is not us is therefore by definition (by not being "us") not good.



I experienced a similar frustration over a Newsweek cover from late last year, I believe, that showed a picture of a young Arab child next to the headline "Why Do They Hate Us?" It was catering to the populace's worst fears of some amorphous, threatening, "they", somewhere out there threatening the American way of life, which is insulting to those of us who know better, and degrading to the news institution as a whole, which ought to know better. The actions of a few are not representative of the whole. Just as I refuse to demonize everyday Jordanians, Persians, Malaysians, Indians, Kashmiris, Egyptians, Iranians, Iraquis, Pakistanis and Afghanis based on the actions of Hezbollah, Al Qaeda, and Palestinian suicide bombers, I would hate for people to think that Rev. Graham is representative of all Christians, or all Americans.



I'm sorry for the essay-long answer to your query, but I wanted to make plain that my ire was not directed against a group, a person, a religion, or an institution, but against a shameful attitude, and the attempts of that attitude to perpetuate itself. It is my staunch belief that ignorance and arrogance in combination are the cause of all the man-made ills of this world, and I like to think that I try to seek it out and fight it in myself as much as I speak against it in others. I hope.



Of course, I made this response before reading other posts by this reader, which basically show him to be the same sort of uneducated bigot I was complaining about - while his first post to me seemed a civil and potentially rightful criticism of my own biases, his later posts amount to jingoistic "love it or leave it", "they're all out to get us" nonsense - so I suppose I was wasting my breath. bah.



------ later -----


Yeah, the conversation has pretty much degenerated from there. The guy really is a moron. His excuse for his attitude is "Osama threw a skyscraper at me and the tv showed all the Muslims celebrating, so I hate them all." I tried to point out that there were also many pictures of Muslims grieving, leaving gifts and candles at U.S. embassies, etc., but his reply was "I didn't see it. that's 'cuz it didn't happen." I've settled for trying to snark and ridicule him into fleeing, though I realize this isn't likely to happen, as idiots have no shame.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A801884

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more