Yyteri Beach, Finland Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Yyteri Beach, Finland

1 Conversation

Located not far from the town of Pori, around four hours south-west of Helsinki, lies a beach not too many of us Western Europeans, or Americans for that matter, are likely to have heard of. With a glorious pale colour and natural cleanliness, the sand of this little-known heaven is a pleasure to tread upon.

Yyteri (Pronounced 'uu-der-i') beach is lined with scenic sand-dunes, and ends in an idyllic blue sea. This sea bears some further description; not only is it a dreamy shade of blue, that blue you think is attainable only in Australia, but get this - the water is so devoid of salt that you can literally swim underwater with your eyes open. Also it seems to be fed by some kind of tropical undercurrent, resulting in a mild-warm sea that sometimes sends your body tingling as you feel one of these warm currents swish by you.

To further add to the ambience of this dreamy far away place is the fact that in Finland, during summer, the Sun doesn't set until around 1am. Hence you can have the pleasure of swimming in the clear blue warm waters at 10 at night.

Quite simply, this beach is your opportunity to partake in a dream. Alone or with company, you are reminded of the simple beauty of nature, and on that beach there are a million places where you are not. Being on the beach, or in its heavenly waters might best be conveyed like this:

An ant is selected by God to become fully aware of everything, and to know if only for a day, a life one thousand times richer and more fulfilling than it will ever know again in the rest of its life.

'Is there somewhere to buy ice creams?' you may inquire, perhaps unswerved by loftier notions. Fear not if your need for frozen dairy-produce is great, for there are at least two beach huts. More savoury fare and alcoholic refreshment lie behind the sand-dunes; there is a cafe and a pub.

The Downside?

Yes, it's Finland, so yes, the beer is expensive. You can't have it all.

Further Reading


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A810299

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more