H2G2 Community Consortium - Statement of Intent

0 Conversations

What is the h2g2 Community Consortium
| h2g2c2 FAQ
| What is h2g2, and why we must save it
| Who would own a community-led h2g2
| Who are the h2g2c2 committee (h2g2c3)
| How would a community led h2g2 run?
| h2g2c2 Statement of Intent

21st June 2011 - We interrupt your browsing with some welcome news:

The BBC have confirmed the success of the three-way bid by Robbie Stamp, the Community Consortium and Noesis.

When you read what's on the Consortium pages and the conversations here, please remember that they were written while the bid was being worked on, so some things have changed.

We now return you to your original programming

Aims of the h2g2 Community Consortium

  • To ensure the preservation and ongoing availability of the h2g2 archive
  • To ensure the continuing existence and development of the h2g2 community
  • To encourage the development of the Edited Guide and other community projects including the Underguide and post.
  • To encourage the continued development of h2g2 features and functionality
  • To promote active engagement with the h2g2 community in decisions affecting the future of h2g2.

Principles

  • The Community Consortium does not seek to make a profit from h2g2 content or the h2g2 community
  • Based in the United Kingdom
  • Understands that h2g2, although British in origin and present ownership, is a worldwide community
  • The Community Consortium is not intended to conflict with any other initiatives and are not the only route possible to secure h2g2’s future. The Community Consortium is one possibility to be explored and developed. h2g2 should be run by those who are most equipped to do so. The Community Consortium exists to cover the possibility that it may turn out to be most equipped to do so given the circumstances.
  • The h2g2 community consortium intends to be inclusive of all members of h2g2 who wish to get involved. We shall put aside any personal disagreements with them in the past and aim to work together.

Direction


At the time of writing, there are no known bids to take on the running of h2g2. This may change. Accordingly, the h2g2 Community Consortium is considering all aspects of taking on the running and hosting of the h2g2 community and content, with a view to identifying what is feasible and exploring whether a community-led future for h2g2 is something that the BBC are willing and able to consider.
Regardless of the existence or non-existence of other interest in taking on the running of h2g2, the h2g2 Community Consortium will seek to further its goals as outlined above. This could take many forms, depending on the nature of any other interest. This includes but is not limited to: entering into competition with any interested party, entering into co-operation with any interested party, seeking advice and information from the BBC or others. This would be discussed among the group.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A81261524

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more