Unwritten Posting Rules

1 Conversation

Some possibly useful rules of etiquette...

1. Be polite and respectful by default. A House Rule, but worth restating.

2. Get into the habit of previewing your posts. This enables you to correct any silly mistakes and reconsider whether you really want to say that.

3. Control the urge to correct others' mistakes. Except in places like Peer Review, people rarely appreciate it.

4. Be careful about revealing personal information in the forums - undesirables may use it as ammunition.

5. If someone starts having a go at you out of the blue, act defensively. Be factual, point out holes in their arguments, but don't sink to their level.

6. If they really hit a raw nerve, rein yourself in. Don't fly off the handle - unsubscribing is far less painful than a flame war.

7. If seriously inebriated, don't post. You'll only regret it in the morning.

8. If you're not sure whether or not to post in a conversation you feel morally dubious about, *don't* post.

9. Try to ignore postings by people you know you don't like. This will save endless aggravation.

10. Stick to what you know or can extrapolate to. There are plenty of well-informed researchers here and guesswork will have you floundering in no time.

11. Don't be upset if people don't answer your posts as soon as you'd like. They may be really busy, in bed with flu, emigrating...

12. Expect threads to change their topic, often to something quite unrelated. This phenomenon is known as topic drift.

13. Use Smileys to increase the clarity of your meaning, or just to be sociable.

14. The best debating technique is not to attack your opponent's weakest points. Try attacking their strongest ones - if you can beat them, you're unassailable.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A8272172

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more