On Death and Riding a Motorcyle

3 Conversations


This entry is from the A724312 Soapbox.


On Death and Riding

Motorcycle riders have a special relationship with death. We are reminded of it nearly every day - everyone who doesn't ride seems to take ghoulish pleasure in relating the hazards of riding.

But it's more than that. It's an awareness of the brevity of life but an irrepressible urge to take the next corner faster and lower; it's singing "Born to be Wild" inside your helmet while cruising at 110klm/hr and being overtaken by d**k-heads in hotted up V8s doing 160 on a 2-lane Queensland highway...and you're watching for the kangaroo; it's the force of the air on your body and the sun in your eyes; it's the front-tyre sliding; it's the oncoming four-wheel drive.

It's overtaking the d**k-heads in hotted up V8s at 240 on a 2-lane Queensland highway.

Hell, living is fatal. Someone once looked at me and asked "But why do you still ride, then?" after I'd told them that I'd had 3 near-death experiences on my bike and saved my life each time by millimetres.

Of course, they'd missed the point.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A872796

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more