Babe Among the Stars: Global Astronomy Month 2012

2 Conversations

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Global Astronomy Month 2012

April 2012 has been pronounced Global Astronomy Month, celebrating One People, One Sky. As well as promoting dark sky awareness, there will be educational Moon Weeks, Sun Days and Moon Days. Some places are hosting 'Cosmic Concerts' and star parties, and there are online photo contests and astro-poetry competitions. The first human in space, cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, is honoured with a special 'Yuri's Night' to celebrate the 51st anniversary of his pioneering flight in Vostok 1. Part of Global Astronomy Month is the International Dark Sky Week which will take place over 14-20 April. As the Global Astronomy Month is meant for all the denizens of planet Earth, anyone interested in taking part is advised to check the events in their own local area.

April Diary Dates

The Lyrid meteor shower, a trail of comet dust left by Comet Thatcher, occurs between 16-26 April, with the peak in the early hours of the 22nd. This year the Earth will cross the path of the comet when the Moon is just a few hours old, giving meteor-enthusiasts an excellent opportunity to clock up their best-ever count. Let's hope for clear skies!

  • 03: Mars 9° north of Moon
  • 06: Full Moon (the Pink Moon or the Fish Moon)
  • 07: Moon 6° south of Saturn
  • 08: Easter Sunday
  • 12: Yuri's Night
  • 15: Saturn at opposition (best time to view the rings)
  • 16: Neptune 6° south of Moon
  • 18: Moon 8° north of Mercury
  • 19: Moon 6° north of Uranus
  • 21: New Moon
  • 21: Mercury 2° south of Uranus
  • 21/22: Lyrid meteor shower peaks
  • 24: Venus 6° north of Moon

  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among the Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

26.03.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87749068

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more