Beacon Hill, Burghclere, Hampshire

1 Conversation

Beacon Hill Fort

Beacon Hill Iron Age hill fort, was built on a chalk hill overlooking Highclere Castle home of Earls of Carnarvon in Hampshire England. Overlooking the A34, the main north south route for centuries. Near to White Hill, and close to the village of Watership Down1, in northern Hampshire.

If you look at a map of the monuments on the Hampshire Downs, it becomes apparent that there are a string of hill forts along the northern side of the ridge. They all seem to be orientated to the north, towards the Kennet valley. It is imposable to say these if forts were the part of some sort of extended settlement, or defensive line. However when they were originally built they would have been a very visible barrier. One of these is the Beacon Hill, hill fort.2

Once called the Berkshire Beacon the hill stands 853 ft or (254m) high. The first sign of occupation on the hill was a Bronze Age settlement site known as "Beacon Hill Camp", dating from 1000 BC3 The population of the camp has been estimated to be between 2000 and 3000 inhabitants.

The fort was constructed in the Iron Age around 600 BC. This makes it one of the older hill forts in Hampshire. 4

This is another fort that could be attributed to the Atrebates, the principal tribe in this area. At the time of the Roman invasion the Atrebates had a capital at Silchester.

The ramparts are more complex than either Old Winchester Hill or Olivers Battery, as they were constructed as a deep ditch with a bank on both the inner and the outer edge. The ramparts are also unusual as they follow the flat summit of the hill, and when viewed from above resembles the shape of an hour glass.

There is an interesting entrance on the south western corner, where a causeway was constructed*over the ditch, and a bank has been raised either side of this causeway to provide a defended gateway. A further rampart has been raised on either side of the gate to provide added protection of the entrance.

Some questions are difficult to answer. Like many of the hill forts in this area Beacon Hill, has not been fully excavated, so it is only possible to speculate about how timber fortifications were constructed to defend the gateway. However there could have been as many as 3 gates and 2 defended ramparts topped by palisades, to protect the approach to this gate.

This is a more complicated layout than other forts and may indicate ether, a more strategically important settlement, or a more developed building style.*There is some evidence of gateway on the western side but this was blocked by the original builders.

Other Sites Of Interest On Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill provides the visitor a series of interesting monuments explore, in addition to the Iron Age hill fort.

    1. A defensive bank and ditch* on the northern spur of Beacon Hill and a nearby bowl barrow.
    2. A bowl barrow to be seen on Beacon Hills southern spur.
    3. To the north of Beacon Hill there is a Bronze Age Bowl Barrow. This is to be found in a plantation of fir trees, and will need searching for.
    4. Finally to the south of Beacon Hill Camp is a Bronze Age round Barrow.

All the monuments on the hill are registered as English Heritage Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

The Beacon

Later there was a beacon built on the hill, this was possibly used during the time of the Spanish Armada* in 1588. The next beacon in line north of this hill is the Cuckhamsiey Beacon in Berkshire. There were remains found on the hill. These were of a hearth of brick and flint, some shards of 16th century pottery and clay pipes. These have been interpreted as the remains of a shelter for the men appointed to tend the beacon. The beacon is lit now only only on special occasions. The last time was in June 2012, as part of the celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee.

Later History

Beacon hill was chosen as the last resting place of George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon, his grave is to be found within the earthworks of the fort. George Herbert was a famous Egyptologist, it was he who funded the expedition that led to the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun. The hill fort is a fitting place of rest for him as it overlooks the Carnarvon family home, Highclere Castle.*

Seven Barrows field, nearby was the site of Sir Geoffrey de Havilland's first successful test flight in September 1910. This can be found in the fields to the south of Beacon Hill stone memorial can be found close by.

Butterflies And Bees

The site is open to the public and is managed by Hampshire County Council. It is a Site of special scientific interest and a National Nature Reserve, look out for hares here they are getting quite rare. Declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The abundant range of flora attract a variety of interesting insects and butterflies. The butterflies that may be seen on the downs include the,

The Chalk Hill Blue,The Adonis Blue,The Common Blue,The Painted Lady,The Silver-spotted Skipper (Hesperia comma),The Small Heath,The Orange Comma ,The Meadow Brown, and the
The Red Admiral.

An interesting insect visitor seen on the hill is the Cuckoo Bee so if you visit the hill fort keep a look out.

Walking

It is also a excellent area for walking the Downs and the ancient track ways. A good walk to the fort and back will be approximately 1.5 to 2 miles depending how long you explore the hill fort.
There is a car park, the best way to find it is as follows. The most direct way is on the A 34, following the directions below.

How To Get To Beacon Hill, Burghclere

If you travel north on the A 34. Turn off the A34 at the junction signposted to Kingsclere and Burghclere. At the end of the slip road turn left. Take the next left turn and follow the road and the car park is on your left.

If you travel south on the A 34. Turn off the A34 at the junction signposted to Kingsclere, Burghclere. At the end of the slip road turn right. Cross over the A34, then take next left turn and follow the road and the car park is on your left.

Unfortunately it is little more than a lay-by. Opposite the car park there is a footpath up to the hill fort.
The car parking area near the hill however are isolated and there is the possibility of theft, in quieter times so do take care.

It is often difficult to find sites or points or interest mentioned, so map reference points are provided here relating to the text.

    1. Beacon Hill Hill fort, western gate. --
      -- ( 51.311294,-- 1.343213 )
    2. Main car park --
      -- ( 51.315925,-- 1.336378 )
    3. A defensive bank and ditch on the northern spur --
      -- ( 51.315975,-- 1.347059 )
    4. A bowl barrow to be seen on Beacon Hills southern spur --
      -- ( 51.310516,-- 1.342868 )
    5. To the north of Beacon Hill there is a Bronze Age Bowl Barrow. This is to be found under a plantation of fir trees --
      -- ( 51.314641,-- 1.347322 )

Just copy and paste the numbers into a computer search or map search bar and it will take straight to the site indicated. It also works on some sat nav systems.

1The setting for Richard Adams novel about rabbits, named after Watership Down.2 This is one of two hill forts in Hampshire that bear the name Beacon Hill, the other one is near Warnford.3Also on the list of scheduled ancient monuments.4As the Iron Age is generally regarded as beginning around 800 BC and ending with the Roman invasion of 43AD, this could be a relatively early Iron Age fort.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87789730

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more