Venerable Researchers: Witty Moniker

1 Conversation

I'm your interviewer, Amy Pawloski, aka "paper lady". I've asked several h2g2ers the same set of questions. All interviewees in this round joined h2g2 between April 28, 1999, and April 28, 2000, have Unumbers below 119000 or so, and at least lurk as of the time I sent them the questions. All normal text is the interviewee, all italics are mine.

Our first interviewee shares her h2g2 birthday with h2g2 itself, and has been active on h2g2 the entire time. Please welcome Witty Moniker.

When did you join h2g2?

Opening day, April 28, 1999. Technically speaking, I was pre-registered as a result of responding to the email described in the next question.

How did you hear of/find h2g2?

I received an email from the Starship Titanic Game folks notifying me that the website was to be established and would I like to be notified when it launched. See, it pays to register your software!

Why did you join h2g2?

Having read the books, I was curious to see what the Earth guide would be like.

Did you jump right in, or did you lurk awhile first?

I lurked for about a year before I got up the courage to post in the Forum & Firkin. Next up was the Aroma Cafe.

Have you written an Edited Entry?

Yes.

How many?

One solo entry and a handful of collaborative contributions.

What was your first Entry?

Outstanding Carrot Cake (Nov 3, 2000)

What is your favourite Entry (of the ones you've written, if any)?

Outstanding Carrot Cake (Nov 3, 2000)

Tough choice!

What is your favourite Entry by someone else?

Can't say I have a favourite, there are just too many to choose from.

Do you belong to/have you started any clubs/societies/what-have-you on h2g2?

  • I am a Salonista at Lil's Atelier. I have a title: Dame Witty Moniker the Multifaceted, Hootoo Aboriginal, Knight Extraordinaire of the Atelier
  • I am the Proprietor of the Convenience Store at the h2g2 Space Centre.
  • I am Muse of Needlework, but the Musehome hasn't been active in years, to my knowledge.

Is that/are those club(s)/society(ies)/what-have-you(s) still active?

The Muses are not active. My store is quiet, but I'll open up if anyone stops by. The conversation at Lil's continues, thank goodness.

Have you held any volunteer positions in the past?

No.

Are you a current volunteer?

Yes, I am a Community Editor and I help out the Ops/Comms team when needed.

Which elvised researcher do you miss most?

d'Elephant

Babel 17

Amy the Ant

Peripatetic Warrior Monk

Have you been an elvised researcher?

Nope.

Have you been known by other names on h2g2 (not necessarily other accounts)?

Only during anagram season. smiley - winkeye

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you miss?

The Elvises.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you wish you hadn't witnessed?

Some of the bad behaviour, trolling, fighting, attacking of researchers. Thankfully, we have moved on from the worst of that.

What aspect of current h2g2 do you wish had been extant when you joined?

Nothing comes to mind.

Have you been to any meets, of any size, whether "official" or not (meet=over a dozen, minimeet=6-12, micromeet=less than a half dozen)?

Yes! One! I was able to attend the Manchester meet in February 2012, a few months after we researcher-volunteers began running the site.

Oh! I should add that I travelled from NJ to Manchester for the meet I attended. That was a considerable effort.

Was my self portrait there?1

Yes.

How many copies? smiley - silly

Just the one, dear.

Am I asking too many questions?

What?

Is this getting annoying?

As compared to?

How about now?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

If I were to give you a mufflewhump, what would it turn into?

Depends, I've never asked if mufflewhumps are sapient. If they aren't sapient, I would turn it into more mufflewhumps. However, I would most likely use it in one of the adventure threads on site.

Yay! I'm not the only one that uses a deus ex machina on adventuressmiley - winkeye Though I don't know if a mufflewhump can turn into more mufflewhumps.

Had you even heard of mufflewhumps before the previous question?

Yes.

Have I given you one before?

Yes.

Did you know me before this interview?

Yes.

Do you have a question for me (fair's fair, after all)?

Are mufflewhumps sapient?

Ah, that's a tricky one. Y'see, I don't even know if they're alive! They weren't my discovery/invention. A good friend of mine, who has long since elvised, first started using them, and I picked up the habit. He left and I lost touch with him before he got around to telling me the story of the mufflewhumps. Since I keep them in a huge bin in my fan club, and go through his fan club to the Source of All Mufflewhumps to refill the bin, I kind of hope not...

I suppose, for future reference, I should put what I have about mufflewhumps on my PS here:

A mufflewhump is whatever you want it to be, but it's always very wonderful. Therefore, mufflewhumps are the best gifts. They stay in their balls-of-unrealized-potential state2 until taken up by (or given to) someone who has a definite want, either conscious or unconscious. Mufflewhumps can become nearly anything3. The only limitations are that they can't become something sentient or something that can be used against the interests of the giver. They're quite handy, as well as being great gifts; I've often picked one up while concentrating and gotten things I need here on h2g2.



Thank you, WM, for your time.

Next week, I will be interviewing marvthegrate.

The Venerable Researchers Archive

Amy

06.05.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Considering some of the responses I got to this question, I suppose I should elaborate: it's been traditional for me to scan and email a hand-drawn self portrait to someone attending a meet that the person behind the screen can't attend, which is almost all of them. Though I've not had to send new copies for a few years.2Looking like sparkly rainbow dustbunnies3Most common seem to be foodstuff or pets

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87793573

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more