Quote Of The Day: April 2013

1 Conversation

Ah Geggs, how we’ve missed your round-up of quotable Quotes.

Quote of The Day Review: April 2013

An interrobang, a combination of question and exclamation marks.

I have been meaning to write a Quote of The Day Review for a few months now, but life has just generally been too busy. It's a poor excuse I know, but there are, regretfully, only so many hours in the day. So, in this, the first Review of 2013, I'll cover the end of last year and the start of this one. Hopefully, once I've caught up, you won't have to wait so long for the next one.

Out with the old

Firstly, then, the remnant of 2012. The obvious point from those last few months is the lack of Quotes from mid October till early December. It seems quite appropriate that the Quote on the Front Page for that time was paulh's "Is it too late for me to join the Luddite Society?". Anyway, order was restored before the end of the year when I was given the keys to the asylum, sorry, I mean, I was given overall responsibility for QotD.

But, of course, what you really want to know is the final standings for the year. In joint first place we have, on 11 Quotes apiece, Edward the Bonobo and Icy North. That's quite an interesting tie, actually. EtB's Quotes were are scored in the first half of the year, and if he'd stayed around for the rest of the year he may well have won easily. Icy, on the other hand, put in a consistent performance throughout the year, but just failed to score that one last Quote which would have made him the sole champion of 2012. Oh, and he then got the first Quote of 2013. Just one day too late. Wounder. In third place is 2legs on 10 Quotes, closely followed by the triumvirate of Hoovooloo, KB and Mu Beta on 9 Quotes each. Maybe it says something about the nature of QotD that those top 6 are all men. For completeness, therefore, I must mention Beatrice who was the top lady over the year with 7 Quotes.

In with the new

In previous reviews I've listed the Researchers who have had their first Quote of the year in the preceding month, but as this is the first Review of the year, I'm actually going to list the Researchers who have had Quotes this year but didn't get any last year. They are Anna Siren, Elektragheorgheni, Florida Sailor, Is mise Duncan, KimikoMuffin, Lusus, Milla, MMF, Otto Fisch, pebblederook, SashaQ, Solnushka, sprout, Superfrenchie, Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron and Willem. That's a total of 16 Researchers who didn't trouble the leaderboard at all last year, but who are already making their presence know this year. Well done to you all.

Talking of the leaderboard a quick run down of the runners and riders would probably be in order. At the top of the chart is Icy North on 10 Quotes, already almost equalling his total from last year. Just behind him is paulh on 9 Quotes, exceeding his total of 6 from last year with just a third of this year gone. Clearly worth keeping an eye on him, I think. Trailing slightly behind him are Dmitri Gheorgheni and Mr603 on 7 Quotes each. Following them 2legs is on 5 Quotes and hygienicdispenser on 4. There's then 8 Researchers on 3 Quotes, 11 Researchers with 2 Quotes and finally 31 Researchers all having a singular Quote to their names. Giving us a total of 56 separate Researchers having been Quoted during the first four months of 2013. There were, I note, 106 Quoted Researchers in 2012. We look to be on target to better that total number of Researchers this year, but only time, and the wit and wisdom of the collected minds of h2g2, will tell.

Quote of the Month

During my columns last year I gave various bits of evidence to show I cannot be relied upon to be a judge of quality. And really, being at the heart of the process has not improved my objectivity one jot. So, if you want to pick a favourite, go and have a look at the archive yourself. Oh alright, then, if pushed, I would have to pick Baron Grim's revelation from the 21st merely for the smiley - yikes factor:

A cockroach interrupted my first sexual experience.

I have no response to that. Really. I have no words. So, if you wouldn't mind, could you find some for me, and then send them in to [email protected]? That would be lovely, thank you.

QOTD Archive

Geggs

20.05.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87795139

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more