Time Travel Photo Journal #3: Playing a Little Gospel in the Storefront

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #3: Playing a Little Gospel in the Storefront

A storefront church.

When I was eleven years old, we moved to Chicago. Not my favourite place. From the way everyone carried on, we thought we were leaving the country. They gave us farewell parties.

We were really disappointed to find that the currency and postage stamps were the same.

It was a different country, though. According to the internet, there are now 525 Southern Baptist churches in Chicago. In 1963, there were, um, about two, as I recall. One of them was a storefront. I know, because I used to bang the piano in the place. I also mopped the floor on Saturdays. Look, I was eleven. I didn't have much to say about it. Anyway, I have fond memories of this rather primitive form of worship. We didn't have stained glass, and – it being Chicago, Objiwa for 'skunk' – the water smelled awful and tasted worse. But hey, you can sing to the Lord anywhere you like. It's a free country.

Even though the local monsignor told all the kids they'd go to hell for listening to me play. Heck, I didn't hit that many wrong notes.

The Library of Congress didn't have a picture of our storefront church, but here's another. Ours didn't look that much different. It had a bit more glass at the front – I remember, because I used a lot of Windex on it.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87815190

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more