Time Travel Photo Journal #9: In Muenchen steht ein Hofbraeuhaus

1 Conversation

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #9: In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus

The Munich Hofbrauhaus

This isn't your ordinary pub. Oh, no. It's royal. That's the 'Hof' part, for 'court'. The Duke of Bavaria started it in 1589. They take beer seriously in Munich. Pastey would feel right at home there.

As the old song says, In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus, eins, zwei, suffa!, meaning, 'In Munich, there's a royal brewery, one, two, bottoms up!' No kidding. I think you have to sing it when you drink there. It's probably a law, or something. If you don't, they probably stick you upside down in the paternoster at the Polizeipräsidium. You don't mess with the beer.

I can't drink beer these days, due to the gluten business. When I did, I preferred Guinness, or Bavarian Starkbier, which is only brewed by monks during Lent. The beer at the Hofbräuhaus struck me as nothing special. It's served in a stoneware tankard, so you can't see whether it's full or not. There's a lot of foam involved. One suspects the whole experience is more about jollification than about the enjoyment of the beverage.

Apparently, Mozart liked to hang out in the Hofbräuhaus. JFK visited there, too. I don't think Mr Obama's been there, although he did famously visit an Irish pub. Irish pubs have more atmosphere, but they don't have those weight-lifting barmaids. Munich barmaids can carry four tankards in each hand. They're more dangerous than Celtie clippies, too.

Yes, we know. There was once an attempt to putsch the Bavarian government that started in a beer hall. Only in Bavaria. But that wasn't the Hofbräuhaus. That was the Bürgerbräukeller. Hitler didn't even drink beer. He probably thought people showed up there just to listen to him waffle.

There's a moral in there, somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it. Prost!

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87815758

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more