Time Travel Photo Journal #12: A Colonial Street

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #12: A Colonial Street

Elfreth's Alley in Philadelphia.

This is Elfreth's Alley, the oldest continuously-occupied residential street in the US. People have been living here since, the very early 18th Century. There were older streets, no doubt, but a lot of them were built with less durable materials. The solidity of Philadelphia is mainly due to William Penn's PTSD.

When Penn lived in England, he saw the Great Fire of London. So, when somebody put him in charge of a brand new city, he decided to build a less combustible place. Result? A city full of green spaces. Wider streets. And brick or stone houses. Not bad for 1690.

In the 18th Century, the Alley was home to people of the middling sort. One woman ran a dame school attended by little Betsy Ross. Another bottled ketchup – no lie. It was a nice, middle-class way of life, even if there was only one privy, down at the end of the street, and chickens roamed up and down. They grazed their livestock in the green square.

As time went on, the alley didn't change much. But the residents did. By the mid-19th Century, the place was full of, well, immigrants. And I mean full. Every tiny courtyard boasted a two- or three-story tenement. Wood. William Penn would have had a fit.

In the 1940s, homeowners moved out. Their kids said, 'Ma, move to the suburbs. That place is an eyesore.' They sold their historic houses for a song, and moved to Manayunk. Many of them groan now: the houses are very pricy these days. And full of yuppies with a bent toward preservation.

I ask you: would you spend a fortune to live in a house only 9 feet wide? (One is.) And put up with tourists?

Elektra and I used to be tour guides here for a bit. It's fun, trying to get people to imagine life in the olden days. And answering questions like, 'Were people shorter then?'

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87816054

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more