Time Travel Photo Journal #18: A Gorge-ous Experience

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #18: A Gorge-ous Experience

The Partnachklamm.

Instructions:

  1. Go to Bavaria in winter. (Stop groaning.)
  2. Wear really good hiking boots.
  3. Visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
  4. Climb the Partnachklamm, or Partnach Gorge.

The ever-informative Wikipedia has this to say:

In the Triassic, about 240 million years ago, on the bed of a shallow sea, dark grey, relatively hard layers of Alpine Muschelkalk, so-called Wurstelkalk, were laid down in the area of the present day Partnach Gorge. On the bead-like strata of this rock the traces of the burrowing and feeding of marine animals can still be seen.

I imagine this:

'Hey, du Seetier, du! Pass' auf! Du machst mir mein Kalk kaput!

'Rutsch' mir den Buckel runter, du Muschelkalk, du! Du bischt mir Wurscht!

Ask a German-speaking Researcher.

Wiki also informs us that there was a rock slide there in 1991, but fortunately, no loss of life. That's good to hear. Apparently, they've dug a tunnel around the rockfall, and one can pass through 'in perfect safety'. Until the next rockslide, natürlich.

It's worth the risk, however. I remember riding back down on the Seilbahn, a closed car suspended by a cable. It was nearly silent, and the view was breathtaking. I pressed against the big window, and had the sensation of standing in midair. It's an exhilarating feeling.

I visited the Partnachklamm on New Year's Day, 1975. Rockfall or no rockfall, I'd recommend you try it in winter. It's a memorable experience.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87816603

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more