Time Travel Photo Journal #19: Eau de Cologne

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #19: Eau de Cologne

Cologne by moonlight.

You know that smelly stuff called Cologne? It's named after this city. Actually, the first cologne was 5711. And thereby hangs a tale.

It seems that back in the day, they started numbering the houses, so the delivery people could find them. Unfortunately, they didn't have a lot of experience in this house-number business. So they numbered them in the order they were built.

Way to go, guys.

Cologne's a funny old city. Lots of fascinating stuff around every crooked corner. Like the Roman villa. Next door to the cathedral, they found a mosaic floor. Decided to build the museum on top of it, rather than move it.

Then there's the Jewish quarter. It had a mkvah, that's a ritual bath. It's under a parking lot now. Get the key from the curator.

When they dug under a row of houses beside the Rhine, they found a lot of old cellars. Turns out that row of houses used to be workshops – for making tourist kitsch. In the Middle Ages. Cologne was a big pilgrim spot. The tourist tchotchkes were small statues of saints. The samples ended up in the local museum.

I took my students over there one day. Nice young ladies. The museum guard was a sly old geezer. He enjoyed telling them why St Lawrence had a gridiron, and what it was that Barbara had on her platter. He liked to hear visitors sqeaul.

Repairs to the U-Bahn were fraught. Basically, it was a matter of two days' digging, followed by two months of archaeologists underfoot. What a lovely place.

Tourists don't get it. They get off the bus, run through the Cathedral, grab a beer, get back in the bus. They don't see the place. Two thousand years of people doing what they do. I used to threaten to write a TV series called 'Cologne', all about the businesswomen there in the 13th Century. Had their own guild, and everything. It would have made 'Dallas' look shabby.

If you're in the neighbourhood, stop and buy some 4711.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87816676

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more