Create Challenge - La Dehesa

2 Conversations

An entry for January's Create Challenge.

La Dehesa

The debesa.

On New Year's, I went out to have a walk around the local dehesa. A misty afternoon, a soft rain and a lovely place... deserved to overcome laziness and put the foot out.

I took some photos. These are encinas, holm oaks, the inhabitants of the dehesas.

A dehesa is an extension of land derived from the Mediterranean forest.

It represents a harmonic use of natural resources by humans.

It can be private or communal.

A dehesa usually provides land for grazing. Anyone with cattle has a right to use the land, when it´s communal. It´s also the ecosystem where varied mushrooms, from tuber to boletus, firewood, or cork are produced.

The most known dehesas are those where the Iberian black pig is raised. The acorns it eats and the 'free lifestyle' the pig enjoys, produce that unique Iberian ham, a gastronomic jewel.

A dehesa is also the place where the wild bull, toro bravo, is raised to be used in bullfightings (corridas), an ancestral tradition now in decline.

The dehesa in this picture is used for cattle and also as a leisure space.

Its fauna consists of magpies, warblers, blackbirds... The oak (encina) and the ash (fresno) are the main flora.

A good way to protect this Mediterranean ecosystem is by buying wine whose cork is not a synthetic but a natural one. Most of the cork is produced in the dehesas of Portugal and Spain.

If you want to round the treat of a good wine, add a bit of Iberian ham. A pleasant, healthy and eco-friendly treat.

PS Here's a good video showing the cork harvesting.

Create Challenge Archive

Maria

13.01.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87820464

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more