Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing Purposefully

0 Conversations

Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing Purposefully

Editor at work.

Okay, writers, consider this scenario:

Colin is the president of his suburb's Neighbourhood Friendliness Club. He's in charge of organising this year's spring jamboree and sing-along. He sends out this email:

Last year was disappointing, frankly. The endless delay to load the bus, the bickering about seat assignments…and then, the long, dreary ride to our campsite. The steadily pouring rain was disheartening, the miserable ride unrelieved by happy chatter. The failure of this sing-along group to respond to my efforts at starting up some harmony was made worse by the proposal of 'Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall' as the year's theme song… I got really depressed.

Now, what's wrong with that? I think you know. First, it's rather solipsistic. This isn't about Colin, though he thinks it is. Second, it dwells on the negative. Would anybody want to show up after that? We think not. Third, and most important, is the fact that there is no information in this email. And information is what's needed. Not purple prose and the Song of Marvin.

What should Colin have written? Something like this:

Come one, come all, to the 6th Annual Jamboree and Sing-Along!

What: A wonderful day of feasting, games, fun, and singing!

Where: The Sherwood Forest Campground.

When: Saturday, 4th April.

Cost: A mere £15 per family!

Instructions: Meet at Colin's house at 8 am for the bus, or take your car and meet us at the Sherwood entrance at 9. Don't be late! You won't want to miss a minute of fun!

Okay, it's not Hamlet. But there's a skill involved in writing stuff like this. It's called writing purposefully.

It does me no good to be a wildly amusing writer, if what my client really needs is serious, down-to-earth, fact-laden material. I shouldn't go off on landscape description on a textbook page dedicated to economic patterns in the early 20th Century. The question is always, 'What does the reader need?'

There's another, related question. 'What's the take-home message?" The take-home message in Colin's announcement is, 'You want to come, you know you do. And here's how to do it.'

How do we apply this to our other writing? Before we tackle a task, we should ask ourselves:

  1. Who is this for?
  2. What do they need to know?
  3. What is the best way to get – and hold – their attention?
  4. What is the right length for this piece of writing?
  5. How do I make the message flow to where I want it to go?

Points 4 and 5 are important. Length may be determined by attention span. If you're writing for the internet generation, keep it snappy. If you're writing a novel, you may have more scope. The flow is vital, too. Your main goal is to reach a conclusion at the same time as your reader. What do you want them to take home – a decision to do something, an insight, a piece of useful information? Write accordingly.

Homework

You like homework. You know you do. Try this on your own.

Take one of these subjects:

  • A recipe.
  • Some travel directions.
  • A historical note.
  • A personal anecdote.

Now, imagine an audience. Who might want to read this? How will you approach the story/information sharing? Write up a first paragraph for your subject. Take three different approaches:

  1. A brief, internet-type filler piece.
  2. A Guide Entry.
  3. Part of an exciting novel or movie script.

Organising material can be more fun than it looks at first blush. Be purposeful. Keep the reader in mind. You'll surprise yourself. Not only will the material be easier to work with, but you'll find those happy little accidental niches for personal creativity.

As usual, if you'd like to share, there's plenty of room at the bottom of the page.

See you at the sing-along!

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.01.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87820581

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more