Writing Right Challenge: Twin

2 Conversations

Florida Sailor takes on Willem's Challenge

Editor at work.

Prologue

The first part of this story is a factual event experienced by the author, only the names and exact location have been altered. The conclusion is pure fiction, perhaps wishful thinking.

The Twin

For the first time in over six years J_ found himself in the city of his birth. On a cold and stormy winter night his parents had decided to move to an exotic tropical place - as a child he was compelled to join them. The family had all returned for a brief summer holiday.

Far away, in south-east Asia his country was engaged in a bitter war, but the threat of being drafted into the army was at least a couple years away. A 17 year-old teenager had to wait another year before being required to register for the draft, and even then you had another year to enrol in college or seek another differed position.

After several days on the road, he had been allowed to drive a few short sections of the highway with his new driver's licence, the vacation proper began. After long days visiting with relatives, J_ was given permission to explore the city on his own, with only the only instruction to return to his aunt's house in time for supper.

What to do, where to go? He thought about all the places he had seen on school and family trips as he rode the bus to the down-town terminal. His first choice was the 19th century fort on the edge of town that was opened for tours, next to it lay a large military post that was still active.

After studying the schedules and fares it became clear that the fort was beyond his means. The large down-town science museum seemed to be a logical alternative.

After several hours of wandering past the displays, he decided to start finding his way back to his aunt’s house. He knew the basic direction, the name of some of the main roads. He knew when he was close enough he would recognize some of the shops. Walking seemed much simpler than trying to sight landmarks from a speeding bus. He had been away from the city long enough to not realize what a government housing complex looked like, or the dangers that might be lurking there.

He did not notice the large black sedan slow down as it passed him, it was not until the two men got out and warned him 'not to run' that he realized there was a threat.

The older man was tall and slender, obviously in charge. The other was a bit stout and had a look that could make anyone wither. The tall one asked if I had any identification, as he flashed his badge identifying himself as a member of the Military Police.

He proudly answered 'yes' and handed him his driver's license. (I should add here that back then they were typed on a cardboard form and did not contain anything useful like a photograph.) J- did not realize how unlikely it was that someone in this neighbourhood would be carrying identification from such a place.

He showed it to his partner.

'Where did you get this?' he sneered, implying it might have been in a Cracker-Jacks box.

'It was issued by the Highway Patrol, like it says', he replied.

'Get in the car!' chubby settled in next to him with a look that was only reserved for the lowest scum. 'You are Sam Smith and you are Absent Without Leave from the US Army' he announced in victory. J_ began to wonder if he might see the fort after all, even if it would be from the wrong side of the fence.

They drove to the parking lot of an abandoned factory. The slender man walked over to the only other car in the lot and soon returned with two women, one about J_'s own age and the other about as old as his own mother.

'Is this him?' chubby asked.

The older one said 'could be', J_ was then asked to remove his glasses. They studied him for another few minutes and she finally said no, that's not him.

Both men began to apologize almost immediately, slim showed me a picture of their subject and even J_ had to admit the resemblance was incredible. They offered to drive him to his destination, but young men are reluctant to admit they are lost. He had them drive him back to where they first accosted him and he arrived at the house only a few hours late for supper.

Having been forced to explain this story, his uncle F_ was ready to sue the entire government, but J- talked him out of his plan.

The Confrontation

Several years after these events the country had returned to peace, the draft was abolished, and uncle F_ went on to meet his maker. J_ went up to pay his respects and once again travelled down to the bus depot for an adventure.

In looking over the crowd he sighted a face that was almost like looking in a mirror...

He does a double-take. He looks at the face ... his own face goes white. 'It's you!' he says. The other man notices ... looks at the first man, puzzles for a moment – then goes red in the face. 'IT'S YOU!' he exclaims. He storms at the first man, who turns tail and runs away as fast as he can.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Florida Sailor

09.06.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87830823

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more