Freebie Film Tip #2: A Look Back at the Sci-Fi Future

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #2: A Look Back at the Sci-Fi Future

Artwork showing various cinematic emblems floating in space.

You remember Rocky Jones, the TV Space Ranger. A lot of early US sci-fi TV was pretty low-budget and full of silly clichés like that: space food, space guns, space chairs…radio microphones and back-room surplus.

One of the pioneer efforts in TV sci-fi was the DuMont network's risible venture, called Captain Video and His Video Rangers. It started back in 1949, when few people had sets, and ran into the mid-1950s. Even back then, people mocked its live action flubs and non-existent production values. But you know, it was influential and had an effect on the sorts of things we see today. I'll show you, and you might enjoy this.

Captain Video had all this:

  • Live acting, corpsing, and dropped cues.
  • Moral messages celebrating Star Trek-type values, beamed anviliciously at the watching 'Video Rangers' as Public Service Announcements.
  • Falling props, supplied by Wanamaker's Department Store, which was downstairs from the New York studio.
  • A raft of writers who should have been ashamed. The Role of Embarassment includes:

    Damon Knight

    James Blish

    Jack Vance

    Arthur C. Clarke

    Isaac Asimov
  • A robot named 'I Tobor'. The prop people got the stencil on backwards.
  • Interspersed footage from old cowboy movies, representing the actions of 'Video Ranger agents' in the field. Apparently they hadn't heard of the Prime Directive. Of course, the cowboy movies' plots had nothing to do with the space story.

You get the idea. Alas, these gems are mostly lost, but there's a rare episode from 1949 on archive. Go and enjoy it. Tip: If the picture won't play for you – it wouldn't for me – try the OGG video. It will come out tiny, but be readable. You'll get the idea. Warning: it's only half an hour, but the pace makes it seem longer. What were they thinking?

Now comes the good part. Lots of people remembered Captain Video. American newspaper columnist Dave Berry did, and pointed out that the tchotchkes he collected – yes, they had collectibles – had higher production values than the show. (They would have had to.) The best tribute of all, to my mind, was the episode of the 1990s series Quantum Leap made in honour of Captain Video and its video cousins. Courtesy of Youtube, you may watch the episode, entitled Future Boy. Obviously, the modern series has the superior technique. But it's still a great homage to the old show, and its influence on television and science fiction. Just think, a captain of the Enterprise, wearing tinfoil like that. It boggles the mind and tickles the funnybone.

I hope you enjoy this little excursion into what Captain Galaxy would no doubt call 'the futuristic past'.

Author Isaac Asimov and a couple of androids
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87842550

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more