The h2g2 Post 01.06.15

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 1st June 2015

We Are the People Ray Bradbury Warned Us About

A very futuristic building in 1895.We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.
Plan 9 from Outer Space

How true that was, back in 1959. How true that still is. Look around you: is this not the world of the future you/your parents/grandparents imagined? Mobile phones, talking appliances, cloning, constant surveillance1? Okay, you/they thought there would be flying cars and hoverboards. Everybody always thinks that. But once you get over it, you realise: the future is now. You're living in it. Criswell was right…and ain't that a kick in the head?

Do you like it? Do you wish somebody would take it away, and replace it with something less cumbersome and expensive?

Now is your chance to express yourself on the theme. Write – editorialise, fictionalise, generally crack wise. Or versify. Or draw, paint, photograph, photoshop (thus becoming part of the futuristic lifestyle you're complaining about, now isn't that meta?)…do what you like, but let it come from the heart.

To start us off, Awix has presciently reviewed a film that is totally relevant to this topic. Which is all the more remarkable because he had no idea what the topic was. (We blame 2legs.)

Galaxy Babe will tell us how we're going to keep those pesky Near Earth Objects from hitting our back porches even if we don't have Bruce Willis on speed dial.

Cactuscafe reminds us how much like a science fiction dream a cruise ship can look.

FWR spins a cautionary yarn worthy of Rod Serling himself, that just might remind us that the moment is there to be seized.
People back in the past thought they were living in the future. Hah! They didn't know they were born, even if that 1895 high-rise building did have ice water machines. Tennyson thought he lived in the future, but that was only because he was on the Isle of Wight. (Check his scifi poem, with snarky footnotes as usual.) Heck, even Nigel's aliens thought they were pretty hot stuff back in 1961. It's all relative, as Einstein said…

So read, enjoy, get inspired. Talk among yourselves. I've got a futuristic vehicle in my garage that needs tuning, and the cryonics unit just got hooked up in there, too, and needs adjusting…

I might want to keep a frozen turkey in it.

Have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW (YOUR FACE)
  • Wattled Plover by Willem.
  • Climbing Cotton by Willem.


WHEN SCIFI MEETS RL, PART I

(THESE ARE THE DAYS OF) MIRACLES AND WONDERS

  • Silver whisper.
  • Near Earth Objects.

ASTOUNDING STORIES

WHEN SCIFI MET RL, PART II
  • June Create.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1Not to mention the Two Minutes' Hate, which has become daily reality, at least on US TV. Unfortunately, on the Fox Channel, it seems to last 24/7.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87852261

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more