The h2g2 Post 08.06.15

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 8th June 2015

Old-Fashioned or Newfangled?

A futuristic couple in 1900 flying around in a personal vehicle. Did you enjoy your excursion into the future last week? That week which is now the past? Time's like that, although it may be an illusion. Who knows? Certainly not this couple. They're living in an imaginary future of personal flying vehicles. Aren't you glad that didn't happen? Can you imagine the traffic jams over your house? If the Segway could cause trouble on the roads, think of what those contraptions could do in the air. Some things don't really need to happen.

I've been thinking about that today: the past, the present, material culture, old-fashioned ideas versus newfangled notions, for several reasons. One is that we now have a raised garden bed to grow vegetables in. Not a new invention, but hopefully, an effective way to stop the bunnies from eating our veggies before we can get a crack at the produce. We like bunnies, and ours are tame, but we like veggies, too. The raised bed is one old-fashioned notion. No electrical fences or computer chips required.

Another is that over in Peer Review, people were asking about my entry onflour sack clothing. Now, that was a case of necessity being the mother of invention. People in the Great Depression made clothes out of flour and feed sacks. But one Researcher wanted to know how they sewed – by machine or by hand? – and another queried, 'What is lye soap?' Boy, that illustrates the technological divide between the generations. I've actually held homemade lye soap in my hand. And used it to remove stains. It wasn't a new idea when my grandparents were born.

So, tried and true, or newfangled? Inspired by science fiction, or back to the future? You pick. You write. We read.

This week, we have a whole slew of cool Stuff for you to read up on. There's cinema and home caring. There's art and history and snark. There's even some humour hidden in here, though as usual, you might have trouble finding it. Due to last week's technical difficulties, FWR's short story 'Tickers' is held over for a week-long engagement.

So enjoy. And be thinking about our Create topic. What do you think of the technology we have? What could we live without? What do we still have a crying need for?

Next time, maybe we'll use that engineering test on you, and see what you can make out of a paper clip.

Have a good week!
Stop Press PS: The h2g2 Post has just received an unsolicited email that says, 'I just stumbled across the site ... And I just want to thank you for existing.' As this message was obviously intended for all of you, we thought we should pass it along.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

MYSTERIOUS
  • Fossa by Willem.
  • Weird orbs in the space museum at night.


INTRIGUING

SUBLIME AND/OR RIDICULOUS

  • Analogue Angel by Cactuscafe.
  • The infant Hannibal swears eternal hatred to Rome

WORDS, WORDS, WORDS

THE BALL'S IN YOUR COURT
  • June Create.
  • A tennis court.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87852270

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more