The h2g2 Post 15.06.15

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted:15th June 2015

Private Lives, Public Views

William Blake's FB picture. This month, we're talking about how science fiction becomes reality. Sure, twentieth-century scifi writers predicted all sorts of technological change, leading to utopia/dystopia. But what about the old guys? Like, say, William Blake? He was a pretty visionary fellow. Here we imagine what his Facebook page might have looked like, and speculate as to whether the Mods would have enjoyed his brand of philosophy. It's fun to do things like that. Try it yourself, because Create is breathing down my neck for submissions. I might as well share the pressure.

We have other creative things in this week's issue. More cinema. An exciting sport report from Egon. Another artistic vision from Cactuscafe. More stories in 42 words. Not 'or less', just exactly 42 words. It's a peculiar h2g2 literary form, and we're proud of these people. Their imagination is staggering. At least, that's what we often do after reading these offerings. It's a little like being drunk…ask a glass of water.

When you think of secret government documents, what do you imagine? Terribly official and ominous language? What about a badly proofread, mimeographed parish newsletter full of chatty stuff, but marked 'Top Secret'? Thanks to the Freedom of Information Act, we now know what sort of drivel was written by spies of the past. We bring you a sample to enjoy.

The h2g2 Post is chatty – we never shut up – but hardly secret. Not even Medium Secret. What we find, we shout from the internet housetops. Join in the shouting. Leave a comment or two.

Thanks for reading, and have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

VERY WILD LIFE
  • Lemurs by Willem.
  • A polydactylopus Europa.


LOOKING DEEPER

ART HORIZONS

  • The frieze will look good in neon, but the oxen are critics.
  • Sunset Script by Cactuscafe.

STUFF TO READ

STUFF TO WRITE
  • June Create.
  • Oliver Cromwell.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87852289

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more