Spoils of War: More Cold War Hotspots

0 Conversations

Sometimes when science fiction hits real life, it does so with a thud. Here, from a declassified, but once restricted UK document, is the war you were almost in, folks.

There will be no snarky comments. This material speaks for itself. We wish it didn't.

Research on Blast Effect in Tunnels with Special Reference to the Use of London Tubes as Shelter

by P. H. Pavry

People using Aldwych Tube Station as a bomb shelter during the Blitz, 1940. Reproduced in the Cabinet War Book with the suggestion that the London Tube would be a good nuclear fallout shelter in case of a Soviet attack.

Summary and Conclusions

The use of the London tube railways as shelter from nuclear weapons raises many problems, and considerable discussion of some aspects has taken place from time to time. But – until the results of the research here described were available – no one was able to say with any certainty whether the tubes would provide relatively safe shelter or not.

The more recent research here described showed for the first time that a person sheltering in a tube would be exposed to a blast pressure only about as great as he would be exposed to if he was above ground, (in addition, of course, he would be fully protected from fallout in the tube.)

Table of estimated deaths in UK cities from a nuclear attack.

From Cabinet Office War Book, CAB 134/2021, 27 November 1962. (Some material in this compendium was updated later.)

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

29.06.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87855682

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more