Bell Time

1 Conversation

An E-Bay purchase leads to a wealth of information for us.

Bell Time

A bell.


A few weeks back a small package was delivered here from a seller on E-Bay. What was inside has given us a great deal of pleasure.


As some of you may know, my wife and I spent about 10 years living on our sail-boat. One of the most important navigational tools is the ship's clock, especially in urban areas. Many of the draw-bridges open for boat traffic only a few times each hour on a regular schedule. If you do not want to spend 15 or 30 minutes circling in front of the bridge (you can't just pull over and park on the water.) it is important that you time your arrival just before the opening is due.


The clock I purchased for the boat sounded a ship's bell each half hour. Although it was mounted where the dial was in sight of the helm, you were reminded of the time when the bell sounded without even having to look. Even in port the bell would let you know how much longer you could rest if you woke up in the middle of the night.


I have missed that sound for almost a quarter century – the box contained a new – used – replacement.

Ship's Bell Time


Unlike common land clocks that strikes each hour with from one to twelve bells (usually preceded by a short melody, such as the Westminster chimes) and a single bell for the half hour, The Ship's clock sounds from one to eight bells, in order, repeating every for hours.


Traditionally ships keep 4 hour watches, at each change of watch the sailors off-duty report on deck, or to their assigned area, and relive the other watch so they can rest. The change of watch occurs every time eight bells are struck.


Eight bells are struck at 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 o'clock. If you wish to use a 24 hour clock then proceed to 12:00 to 16:00, 20:00 and 24:00 before repeating at 4:00. If we start at 12:00 with 8 bells, 12:30 has only one, 1:00 sounds two and at 1:30 3 bells. The bells are properly struck in pairs making counting easier. Ding-ding pause ding-ding pause ding would mark 5 bells (2:30 in the above example)

The Watches


The day is divided into Seven watches.

  • From 8:00 PM to Midnight is the first watch.
  • From Midnight to 4:00 AM is the mid watch.
  • 4:00 AM to 8AM is the Morning Watch.
  • 8:00 AM to Noon is the forenoon watch.
  • Noon to 4:00 PM is the afternoon watch.


Now comes the dog watches: because it was decided that it would be better to split the watches so that nobody would have to stand watch in the middle of every night, the 4:00 PM to 8:00PM watch was split in half at 6:00 PM. This also allowed all the crew to have their evening meal close to the traditional time.

Standing Watches in the Day of Sail


Clocks were very expensive and the navigational chronometers were always set to London time, even on vessels from other countries. The local 'ship's time' was measured by a sand glass turned by one of the midshipmen. Each half hour he would sound a small bell on the quarterdeck and this was to be repeated by one of the lookouts at the forecastle on the large ship's bell, If the large bell failed to sound the lookouts would be in serious trouble for dereliction of duty.


Each day the position of the ship was updated by a noon sighting of the sun (when weather permitted). The ship's time would be adjusted so that the watches would match the local time.

Quarter Watches


Because working a ship under sail might require quick, almost immediately action, all of the stations had to be fully manned 24 hours a day. Because such emergencies were rather rare 2/3's of the men required to be available were allowed to rest, or even sleep, as long as at least one of their group was alert and could rouse them if needed. They were still available more quickly than if they had to report from their hammocks.

Officers


Most of the higher officers on the ship only stood one in four watches. On most ships the captain and first lieutenant stood no watches at all, although they could be called to action any time the officer of the deck felt he needed their advice or authority.

The Dog Watch


Although the bells are usually sounded normally at the dog watches, with the watch changing at four bells instead of eight, there is a story about a British captain who uncovered a planned mutiny by the crew was to begin their uprising at 5 bells of the dog watch. In order to gain more time to investigate and arrest the conspirators he ordered the bells to be reset to one bell at 6:30 PM. This tradition is sometimes still followed, but not on wind-up 12 hour clocks.

General Features Archive

Florida Sailor

27.07.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87857103

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more