The h2g2 Post 12.09.16

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 12th September 2016

Is It Just Us, or Is the World Getting Weirder?

A mushroom in a swimming pool. …we mean, first of all, there's politics. No, let's don't even think about this year's elections and referenda. We are sorry we brought them up, and promise not to mention them again this week.

But there's this mushroom. Well, okay, all the best pools have them these days. We've seen a couple, and they're cool. The one on the page was from our farewell-to-summer swimming day with the kids. They're not too sad, though, because school has started, and they're having a lot of fun, what with clubs and new friends and band practice and football (yes, real footie, not that Yank stuff) and so much to do that we wonder sneakily if any reading, writing, or 'rithmetic is actually going on…

How's your September shaping up? Our contributors are busy these days. Willem's planting for African spring, but he takes time out to send us this intriguing spoonbill. FWR has been inspired this week: not only has he sent us his brilliant philosophical musings, but his cats have been at it again. We're thinking of making this a regular feature, called 'What the h2g2 Cat Dragged In'. Let us know what you think.

This week, Awix gave up waiting for Jason Statham and went to see that chariot race. He'll tell you all about it. Personally, I can hear the ghost of Robert Ingersoll shouting, 'I refuse to apologise for yet another Ben Hur remake!' I take issue with Awix on one point, though: I have been hating on Charlton Heston from a very early age, when I was forced to watch the Red Sea part from the back seat of a 1957 Chevrolet. Somehow, my immediate thought was, 'That man doesn't look anything like Moses!' But we thank Awix for this timely review: now we don't have to go and watch the film.

Weird things are definitely going on everywhere. They've found a habitable (?) planet in the Prox System. The Editor's loom knitting projects appear to be taking over various fictional spaces. Not my fault, I swear: I am being mocked by the artist. Speaking of artists, ours is inspired by dead birds…what does it all mean?

What it probably means is that you'll have to keep reading. And commenting. And writing. Remember: Create has a great topic this month, they need YOU! And send us more Stuff, or you get kitty pics and knitting instructions. We don't know which is worse.

Have a glorious fall week, everybody!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

WILDERNESS REPORT
  • African Spoonbill  by Willem.
  • Sad remains of a car.

SAGE OBSERVATIONS

CURRENT TRENDS

  • Everybody in New York City is wearing a DG hat.
  • A displaced shrew.

TIMELESS WISDOM
WRITING, WHAT ELSE?
  • Create September

  • All God's creatures got a place in the choir.
    Tell us about your music-making experiences.

FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87876643

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more